LA JOLLA, Calif., March 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- MadCap Software, Inc., the leader in multi-channel content authoring and a showcase company for Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) Visual Studio and Microsoft XPS, today announced that the newest releases of MadPak and MadPak ML (Multilingual) are now available. MadPak and MadPak ML are the industry's most comprehensive authoring suites, featuring integrated, XML-based products for complete end-to-end technical communication. The latest releases of the suites offer three new product versions: MadCap Flare 7.0 for single-source, multi-channel publishing; MadCap Analyzer 4.0 for analyzing Flare-based content; and MadCap Contributor, which replaces and expands upon MadCap X-Edit for editing, reviewing and contributing to Flare content.
MadCap expands its leadership in mobile documentation with another industry first—support for publishing Quick Response (QR) codes for use by mobile devices. Flare 7.0 and Contributor integrate with Microsoft SharePoint and include features for vector and equation publishing. Additionally, Flare 7.0 and Analyzer 4.0 extend support for government accessibility standards.
Along with MadCap Flare, Analyzer and Contributor, the MadPak suite also includes MadCap Mimic 5.0 for publishing software simulation movies, video and audio, and MadCap Capture 5.0 for image capture and graphics editing. MadPak ML offers all the products in MadPak plus the MadCap Lingo translation environment tool (TeNT) to support companies with a global presence.
MadPak and MadPak ML are the only technical communication suites in which all products are highly integrated to create a seamless experience for documentation professionals, translators, and other content authors. For example:
- Enable subject matter experts (SMEs) and managers to provide the author with content and feedback on drafts using Contributor.
- Author and publish technical documentation, knowledge bases, policy and procedures, and more, using Flare—in print, on the Web, on desktops, or even on mobile devices.
- Provide screenshots with callouts using Capture.
- Create interactive software simulation movies and video tutorials with Mimic.
- Scan, identify and fix any content issues in advance of publishing with Analyzer.
- Use MadCap Lingo with full translation memory support to translate content without requiring any file transfers—preserving both the content and formatting. Also use MadCap Lingo to provide content statistics, such as word count and translation estimates to facilitate project and budget planning.
"The newest releases of our MadPak and MadPak ML technical communication suites significantly advance our commitment to ensuring that companies can offer everyone access to the content they need, whenever and wherever they need it—while streamlining the entire authoring, review, translation, and multi-channel publishing process," said Anthony Olivier, MadCap founder and CEO. "With QR code support, authors can now turn static print information into actionable content that empowers users in ways never before possible. Meanwhile, new accessibility features automate much of the process of ensuring that documentation meets government standards for supporting the vision and hearing impaired."
Olivier added, "At the same time, we've also extended our commitment to creating a superior experience for the users of our software by integrating with Microsoft SharePoint and Apache Subversion to enhance collaboration and version control, delivering new functionality for publishing equations and vector graphics, and adding an extensive list of usability enhancements to our MadPak and MakPak ML suites."
MadCap Flare 7.0
Flare is MadCap's flagship software for single-source, multi-channel authoring and publishing. With Version 7.0, MadCap Flare becomes the first authoring software to include a built-in QR code generator that lets writers insert QR codes into content files. In doing so, MadCap extends its leadership in mobile publishing and bridges the gap between static print documentation and searchable, mobile content. It builds on MadCap Flare's leadership as the only authoring software that allows for native, intuitive publishing of any documentation to mobile devices. Flare 7.0 also features:
- Enhanced support for government accessibility standards aimed at making documentation more accessible to users who have visual and hearing impairments.
- Microsoft SharePoint integration, so Flare users can connect to SharePoint servers within their organizations to access and edit SharePoint files from within any Flare project.
- Native support for Apache Subversion to facilitate version control among authors who collaborate on content.
- A new built-in Equation Editor that supports the Mathematical Markup Language (MathML) for describing mathematical notations in XML.
- New track changes feature that allows authors to view changes made to content files edited in the XML Editor and accept or reject those alterations individually or in an entire group.
- Enhanced print publishing via support for three types of vector image files for generating PDF output: EPS, PS and SVG.
For more detail on these new and enhanced features in Flare 7.0, see the press release on MadCap Flare 7.0 also dated March 1, 2011.
"Flare 7.0 is easily the most versatile and capable authoring tool that I've used," says David Lee, Sage Ltd. senior technical author. "MadCap clearly listens to their customers, and their support is second to none."
"One of the strengths of all of MadCap's products is the tight integration of their applications—both within a specific application and across the MadCap family of products—and with Flare 7.0, MadCap has a well-designed release with something for everyone," notes Ed Marshall, founder of Marshall Documentation Consulting.
MadCap Contributor consolidates all the functionality of the MadCap X-Edit product family into a single application that allows a company's subject-matter experts and managers to easily edit and contribute content to Flare projects—without having to learn the advanced features of Flare. Additionally, it enables documentation professionals to pre-define templates, so that content from casual contributors is automatically placed into the correct format.
MadCap Contributor builds on the functionality of X-Edit by adding key new features.
- QR code support means authors can use the XML Editor to quickly and easily add QR codes, which can be read by many smart phones and other mobile devices with built-in barcode readers. The data encoded in the QR code can be text, a website URL, an email address, contact information, or short message service (SMS) for sending text messages. For example, a quick start guide might feature a QR code at the bottom of each page that takes people to a website for more detailed information on that page's content.
- SharePoint integration enables users to connect to SharePoint servers within their organizations to access SharePoint files from MadCap Contributor, allowing users to take advantage of SharePoint's capabilities for collaboration, file sharing, and publishing to the Web.
- Equations are now supported through the Mathematical Markup Language (MathML) for describing mathematical notations in XML. MathML in Contributor lets authors embed virtually any kind of mathematical equation in the XML Editor.
- Vector graphics support includes three types of vector image files for generating PDF output: EPS, PS and SVG. This produces a much crisper image in printed documents, maintaining clarity even when the graphic size is reduced.
MadCap Analyzer 4.0 Enhances Accessibility Compliance
MadCap Analyzer starts by identifying issues within Flare projects, such as broken links, missing images, or inconsistent index keywords. Then it goes beyond to proactively recommend corrections and improvements, such as where to add a snippet for content re-use, consolidate styles, add an index keyword, and much more.
Analyzer 4.0 significantly extends the ability to analyze Flare content in order to ensure that it is accessible to users who have visual and hearing impairments, and it complies with standards such as Section 508 of the US Rehabilitation Act and the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). The Analyzer Summary window pane allows authors to view all the accessibility issues that are found. From there, authors can customize the accessibility suggestions that are shown and resolve any accessibility issues before content is published. Accessibility issues tracked by Analyzer 4.0 include:
- Image elements missing alternate text.
- QR code elements missing alternate text.
- Equation elements missing alternate text.
- Tables missing captions and summaries.
- Tables missing header rows.
- Form elements missing labels.
- Frame elements missing titles and names.
MadCap Analyzer 4.0 also features a new File Issues viewer, mark-up suggestions, scan options, scanning optimization, an XML validator, and new and improved reports and window panes.
Availability and Pricing
MadCap Flare 7.0, MadCap Analyzer 4.0, and MadCap Contributor are available today, separately and as part of MadPak and MadPak ML (Multilingual). Standalone per-license pricing is $999 for Flare 7.0, $299 for Analyzer 4.0, and $249 for Contributor. MadPak, at $1,399 per license, includes Flare 7.0, MadCap Analyzer 4.0, MadCap Contributor, MadCap Mimic 5.0, and MadCap Capture 5.0. MadPak ML, priced at $1,699 per license, features all of the products in MadPak plus the MadCap Lingo. Maintenance (support and subscription) fees start at $199 per year for the Bronze Level, $299 for the Gold Level, and $499 for the Platinum Level. Discounts for multiyear maintenance contracts are also available.
About MadCap Software
MadCap Software, Inc. is a leading technical communication software firm specializing in integrated applications for end-to-end content development, delivery and management. MadCap's software products provide state-of-the-art content workflow solutions for multi-channel publishing, including the Web, print, desktop and mobile. Through its strategic partner Microsoft Corp. (NASDAQ: MSFT), MadCap delivers solutions optimized for Microsoft Windows, Visual Studio, and the .NET environment. Headquartered in La Jolla, CA, MadCap is home to some of the most experienced software architects and product experts in the documentation industry. Learn more about MadCap Software at www.madcapsoftware.com.
MadCap Software, the MadCap Software logo, MadPak, MadPak ML, MadCap Flare, MadCap Mimic, MadCap Capture, MadCap Lingo, MadCap Analyzer, MadCap Contributor, and MadCap X-Edit are trademarks or registered trademarks of MadCap Software, Inc., in the United States and/or other countries. Other marks are the properties of their respective owners.
Kinetic.PR for MadCap Software
SOURCE MadCap Software, Inc.