DENVER, Sept. 14, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- MADD Colorado along with its youth presented 19 awards to outstanding Colorado Law Enforcement Officers dedicated to MADD' s mission at the 2011 MADD Colorado Law Enforcement Recognition Dinner and Awards Ceremony.
"This is a particularly special event for MADD Colorado," said Emily Tompkins, MADD Colorado State Executive Director. "Not only do we take time to recognize the extraordinary lifesaving efforts of Colorado law enforcement officers who are so deserving, we do so with the optimism and enthusiasm of our youth volunteers."
Nominations were received from various agencies across the state.
- Outstanding Dedication to Seatbelt Safety – Trooper Chad Hayes, Colorado State Patrol
- Outstanding Dedication to Minor in Possession /Minor in Consumption Enforcement (Metro) - Sergeant Dean Garcia, Colorado State Patrol
- Outstanding Dedication to Minor in Possession / Minor in Consumption Enforcement (Mountain) – Officer Craig Westering, Vail Police Department
- Outstanding Dedication to Minor in Possession/Minor in Consumption Enforcement (Rural) – Corporal Joye Devlin, Yuma County Sheriff
- Outstanding Dedication to School Outreach – Deputy Randy Cater, Weld County Sheriff
- Outstanding Dedication to Sobriety Check Points - Sergeant Richard Coisman, Denver Police Department
- Outstanding Individual Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Metro) – Officer Dan Swint, Denver Police Department
- Outstanding Individual Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Mountain) – Trooper Brett Hilling, Colorado State Patrol
- Outstanding Individual Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Rural) – Trooper J. Vince Benavides, Colorado State Patrol
- Outstanding Team Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Metro) – Fort Carson Police Traffic Accident Investigation Section, Fort Carson Police Department
- Outstanding Team Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Mountain) – Gore Range DUI Task Force (Colorado State Patrol, Avon Police Department, Eagle Police Department, Minturn Police Department, Vail Police Department, Eagle County Sheriff Office)
- Outstanding Team Dedication to DUI Enforcement (Rural) – Troop 5B (Alamosa), Colorado State Patrol
- Outstanding Drug Recognition Expert – Agent Alan Ma, Lakewood Police Department
- Outstanding Prosecutor (metro) – Deputy District Attorney Allison Foley, 1st Judicial District, Jefferson County
- Outstanding Prosecutor (rural) – Deputy District Attorney Anna Cooling, 7th Judicial District Attorney's Office
- Outstanding Judge – Judge Kerry Hada, Denver County Court
- Outstanding Dedication to Traffic Safety & DUI Enforcement - Dr. Robert E. Weltzer, National Traffic Highway Safety Administration
- MADD Hero Award – Corporal Dan Dunn, Denver Police Department
- Col. Mark V. Trostel Law Enforcement Officer of the Year Award - Technician John Blea, Denver Police Department
"The Colorado Department of Transportation is proud to partner with MADD to support and recognize the dedicated professionals of Colorado Law Enforcement who are committed to removing impaired drivers from Colorado roadways," said Glenn Davis, manager of Impaired Driving programs at CDOT. "These officers are truly saving lives. Their hard work has resulted in the reduction of impaired driving fatalities for five years in a row."
This evening's program was presented by the law firm of Bachus & Schanker, MADD Colorado's 2011 Statewide Sponsor, with additional sponsorship by American Family Insurance and Jay's Valet.
About Mothers Against Drunk Driving
Founded by a mother whose daughter was killed by a drunk driver, Mothers Against Drunk Driving® (MADD) is the nation's largest nonprofit working to protect families from drunk driving and underage drinking. MADD also supports drunk driving victims and survivors at no charge, serving one person every nine minutes at 1-877-MADD-HELP. Learn more at www.madd.org or call 1-877-ASK-MADD.
SOURCE MADD Colorado