SANTA CLARA, Calif. and AMSTERDAM, Sept. 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Marvell (Nasdaq: MRVL), a worldwide leader in integrated silicon solutions, will demonstrate how its award-winning ARMADA® family of high-definition media processor System-on-Chips (SoCs) and its industry-leading connectivity solutions are designed to power a complete ecosystem for the next generation of high-definition multiscreen home entertainment experiences at IBC 2011 on September 9-13 in Amsterdam.
As one of the most innovative silicon design companies in the world, Marvell will showcase how service providers and device manufacturers can incorporate the ARMADA SoCs into set-top boxes, tablets, smart phones, other computing devices, connected TVs and cloud-based gaming systems to cost-effectively enable compelling new video-based services and business models. Marvell is helping its customers bring the highest quality 3D and HD video, cloud-based media services, and streaming capabilities to virtually any screen in the connected digital home.
When combined with Marvell's multitude of connectivity solutions that include Wi-Fi, Powerline Communications (PLC), AVANTA™ ultra-fast broadband UPON (unified PON SoC supporting GPON, EPON and Active Ethernet), traditional Ethernet and the new IEEE Audio Video Bridging (AVB) standards, service providers have the ability to create seamless and engaging multiscreen content experiences that support the consumer's appetite for the always connected lifestyle. Marvell's solutions are designed to power and connect virtually any screen of any size on any type of device to power the smart connected digital home.
- Research from leading industry analyst Parks Associates shows that globally, service providers are expanding their multiscreen services due to competition from online video sources, the entrance of other operators, and the dramatic increase of online and mobile video usage over the past three years.
- Parks Associates also states that TV service providers in particular have moved aggressively as consumer data shows multiscreen services can reduce churn and attract young subscribers.
- Ovum states that service providers are well positioned to take control of the home network and help consumers optimize it to provide the best quality experiences for all the services they wish to access. This would provide significant value and therefore differentiation. However, it would also come at a high cost.
- Marvell is uniquely positioned to cost-effectively provide powerful technology necessary to ensure always-on connectivity and a rich and smooth interactive user experience through enabling technologies such as the ARMADA family powered platforms, Marvell's Kinoma® open source software platform as well as its AVANTA ultra-fast broadband UPON, and its multitude of additional industry-leading connectivity solutions.
Marvell ARMADA Family Highlights:
- Single core to multi core ARM compatible CPUs providing uncompromised application processing performance enabling new media experiences that combine both broadcast and web-based content
- Dual Stream, Multi-standard High-definition (HD) video and audio decoding
- Graphics pipeline that can enable rich and sophisticated User Interfaces (UIs), and also provides support for rich gaming experiences.
- Integrates a video/image processing subsystem that implements the award-winning Qdeo® processing, performing per-pixel 3D noise reduction, 3D de-interlacing, scaling, natural depth expansion, intelligent color remapping and adaptive contrast enhancement.
- Provides a high-performance and cost-efficient solution for HD set-top boxes, networked DTV applications, smart phones, tablets, Blu-ray players, digital media adapters (DMAs) and other connected devices
- Seamlessly integrates with Marvell connectivity solutions supporting Wi-Fi, Powerline Communications (PLC), AVANTA ultra-fast broadband UPON, traditional Ethernet and AVB infrastructures, and more.
- Gaurav Shah, General Manager of the Digital Entertainment Business Unit at Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. said: "Marvell is providing innovative technologies that enable service providers to seamlessly and cost-effectively introduce new business models and services that bring compelling HD and 3D video content from the cloud to the living room and to virtually any device with a screen. Marvell's ability to deliver a full spectrum of content-based and networking-based solutions is exceptional and meets any modern use case scenario. Our technologies are creating new possibilities for service providers across the consumer electronics and home entertainment landscape and helping them meet customer demands."
- Kurt Scherf, vice president and principal analyst for Parks Associates, said: "We estimate growth of Internet-connected devices to reach nearly one billion units by 2015—a number that includes TVs, Blu-ray disc players, digital media players, mobile devices, game consoles and beyond. Chipsets like Marvell's ARMADA family are essential to OEMs and service providers looking to meet surging, cross-platform demand with compelling new services, a high quality of experience and aggressive cost effectiveness."
- Marvell media materials: http://www.marvell.com/company/press_kit/
Marvell (NASDAQ: MRVL) is a world leader in the development of storage, communications and consumer silicon solutions. Marvell's diverse product portfolio includes switching, transceiver, communications controller, wireless and storage solutions that power the entire communications infrastructure, including enterprise, metro, home and storage networking. As used in this release, the term "Marvell" refers to Marvell Technology Group Ltd. and its subsidiaries. For more information, visit Marvell.com.
Marvell, ARMADA, QDEO, Kinoma and the M logo are registered trademarks of Marvell and/or its affiliates. AVANTA is a trademark of Marvell and/or its affiliates. Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
SOURCE Marvell Semiconductor, Inc.