SUNNYVALE, Calif., April 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) announces a reference design to protect Xilinx® Spartan®-6 field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs). The reference design comprises free security software from Maxim or Xilinx and the Maxim® DS28E01-100, a 1-Wire® secure memory device.
Operating over a single pin, the built-in challenge-and-response SHA-1 authentication scheme in the DS28E01-100 prevents unauthorized product builds and safeguards FPGA IP. The reference design allows manufacturers to remotely turn on fee-based software-controlled feature upgrades, without physically altering the installed hardware. The security scheme requires secret keys to be loaded in the FPGA and the 1-Wire secure memory. Maxim's reference core seamlessly overlays on the Spartan-6 device; utilizes less than 5% of the logic cell resources and eases the loading of secret keys into the FPGA. Maxim can also preprogram* the DS28E01-100 with customer-specified keys prior to delivery.
Anti-Counterfeiting, Brand Protection and Authentication Solutions Needed:
- Device manufacturers lose billions of dollars per year to "gray market" piracy.
- In 2010, the Brand Protection Alliance reported that the World Customs Organization and Interpol estimated the global trade in counterfeit goods has increased from US$5.5 billion in 1982 to approximately US$512 billion annually (and it continues to grow). Approximately 5-7% of world trade is in counterfeit goods.**
- "Maxim's security system provides best-in-class protection for licensing control and feature-set upgrades. If the DS28E01-100 and the FPGA do not 'recognize' each other, the FPGA design is effectively disabled," said Prem Nayar, Business Manager for Secure Information & Authentication Products at Maxim Integrated Products.
- "With the use of a Maxim DS28E01-100 1-Wire secure memory device, Xilinx customers can easily add a level of design security to their products. While targeting the Xilinx Spartan-6 families today, this could also be used with Artix™-7, Kintex™-7, Virtex®-7 and the Zynq™-7000 families," said Jim Burnham, Platform Marketing for Zynq, Virtex-4,-5,-6, Spartan and CPLD Development Boards and Kits at Xilinx.
Availability and Pricing:
- The reference security scheme (Xilinx XAPP780) for the Spartan-6 family is evaluation ready.
- The DS28E01-100 reads and writes over a 2.8V to 5.25V voltage range and operates at -40 degrees C to +85 degrees C.
- Pricing for DS28E01 starts at $0.84 (1000-up, FOB USA).
About Maxim Integrated Products
Maxim produces (or manufactures) highly integrated analog and mixed-signal semiconductors. The company reported revenue of approximately $2.5 billion for fiscal 2011. For more information, go to www.maxim-ic.com.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
*Preprogramming services are subject to minimum order quantity (MOQ). Contact your Maxim representative for additional details.
**Source: ABIresearch, ANTI-COUNTERFEITING, BRAND PROTECTION AND AUTHENTICATION, June 2011, p. 14.
SOURCE Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.