PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 14 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is being released by the SeniorLAW Center:
What: The purpose of the Summit is to bring together the members of the aging and LGBT services networks and community members to begin a conversation aimed at developing programs for addressing the needs of LGBT older adults.
Why: This the first time the aging services and LGBT services agencies have come together with community members to educate each other about the needs of and resources available to LGBT older adults in our region.
Who Will Be In Attendance: Approximately 120 persons representing a broad cross-section of Delaware Valley aging services providers, LGBT service agencies and community members will be attending the Summit. Although focused locally, the Summit has attracted national attention. Participants in the Summit will include Lisa Krinsky, Executive Director of the Boston LGBT Aging Project, who will deliver the Keynote Address, Daniel Redman, Director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights' Del Martin Memorial LGBT Elder Advocacy Initiative, Rebecca Allison, President of the Board of Directors of the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association, who will be a member of our panel of Responders, and Hilary Meyer, Director of the National LGBT Resource Center at SAGE NYC.
When: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 9 AM to 3 PM
Where: William Way LGBT Community Center - 1315 Spruce Street, Philadelphia
Goals: The Summit has the following goals:
- To initiate a conversation between aging service providers and members of the LGBT communities;
- To increase awareness of the experiences, challenges and issues of older LGBT adults;
- To increase LGBT older adults' awareness of services and resources available within the aging services network;
- To identify ways of reaching out to older LGBT adults who may be isolated within communities in Philadelphia and the adjoining suburban counties;
- To advance advocacy on policy issues of significance for LGBT older adults;
- To identify specific action steps for carrying the goals of the Summit forward.
Event Leadership: The Summit has been organized by a Planning Group of 24 individuals representing a cross section of the aging and LGBT services networks and community.
SOURCE SeniorLAW Center