SANTA MONICA, Calif., May 1, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Medical Device and Diagnostics Industry (MD+DI) today announced its 2017 Medical Design Excellence Awards (MDEA) Lifetime Achievement Award recipient, Dr. Robert E. Fischell and more than 40 finalists for the 2017 MDEAs. The MDEA Lifetime Achievement Awards recognizes industry pioneers and the crucial roles they have played in medical device innovation throughout their careers. Recipients of this award have had a significant influence on the medical technology industry and have made a palpable impact through their work. Dr. Fischell will be recognized at the MDEA ceremony taking place on June 13, 2017, at 4:00 PM local time in conjunction with UBM's Advanced Design and Manufacturing event at the Jacob K. Javits Center in New York. To learn more about the MDEAs, please visit: mdeawards.mddionline.com
UBM's annual New York event, is comprised of six expos presented alongside one another, including Automation Technology Expo (ATX) East,Atlantic Design & Manufacturing (D&M), EASTPACK, Medical Design & Manufacturing (MD&M) East, PLASTEC East, and Quality Expo.
2017 MDEA Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient: Dr. Robert E. Fischell
After receiving his BSME degree from Duke University in 1951, Dr. Fischell began the formation of 15 private companies, starting in 1969, that licensed his patents on medical devices including heart pacemakers, defibrillators, coronary stents, and more. Known as a prolific inventor, Dr. Fischell utilized his expertise and knowledge to develop over 200 issued U.S. and foreign patents throughout his career. Many of his patents have been the basis for medical devices that have been implanted in more than 20 million patients on a worldwide basis.
Dr. Fischell's honors include being named Inventor of the Year for the USA in 1984, election to the National Academy of Engineering in 1996, and several medals for distinguished accomplishments in science, engineering and innovation. In 2004 Discover magazine gave Dr. Fischell its annual award for Technology for Humanity, and in 2005 he received the TED award for contributions to medical technology. Most recently, on May 17, 2016, he received the National Medal for Technology and Innovation from President Barack Obama for his contributions toward the betterment of mankind.
"Dr. Robert E. Fischell is a true pioneer of the medical technology industry, having impacted the development of new, life-saving technologies throughout his entire career," said Jamie Hartford, Editor-in-Chief of MD+DI and Director of Content for Medtech Brands in UBM's Advanced Manufacturing Group. "MD+DI is proud to honor Dr. Fischell with the 2017 Lifetime Achievement Award, as the industry has benefited immensely from his work."
In addition to the Lifetime Achievement Award, MD+DI is pleased to announce more than 40 finalists for the 2017 MDEAs, recognizing the latest significant achievements in medical product design and engineering.
The MDEAs are judged by an impartial panel of medical technology industry experts. The jurors carefully reviewed all product submissions, narrowing them down to a maximum of six products in each category. A bronze, silver, and gold award in each category, along with a best-in-show honor, will be presented at the 2017 MDEA ceremony, which will be held on June 13, in conjunction with UBM's Advanced Design and Manufacturing event in New York.
2017 MDEA Finalist Products and Manufacturers (alphabetical by category):
Digital Health Products and Mobile Medical Apps:
- Airway EX manufactured by Level EX
- BETACONNECT manufactured by Medicom Innovation Partner, a Phillips-Medisize company
- Contour Next Diabetes Meter and App manufactured by Ascensia Diabetes Care
- InPen Smart Insulin Delivery manufactured by Companion Medical Inc.
- The Levo System manufactured by Otoharmonics
- TowerView Health Medication Management manufactured by TowerView Health
Drug-Delivery and Combination Products:
- Cosentyx Sensoready Pen manufactured by Novartis Pharma AG
- Halo Closed System Transfer Device manufactured by Corvida Medical
- Neulasta® Onpro® manufactured by Amgen
- Probuphine manufactured by Braeburn Pharmaceuticals
- West's SmartDose platform manufactured by West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc.
ER and OR Tools, Equipment, and Supplies
- Acumen Hypotension Probability Indicator Software manufactured by Edwards Lifesciences LLC
- MicroCutter 5/80 Surgical Stapler manufactured by Dextera Surgical Inc.
- PrecisionPoint Transperineal Access System manufactured by Perineologic
- SAVI SCOUT manufactured by Cianna Medical, Inc.
- Signia Powered Stapling System manufactured by Medtronic plc
- sonicVac manufactured by Misonix
Gastrointestinal and Genitourinary Devices
- Dakota™ Nitinol Stone Retrieval Device with OpenSure™ Handle manufactured by Boston Scientific Corporation
- Eclipse System bowel control therapy manufactured by Pelvalon
- NURO Percutaneous Tibial Neuromodulation system manufactured by Medtronic, Inc.
- PrecisionPoint Transperineal Access System manufactured by Corbin Clinical Resources, LLC
- Resolution 360™ Clip manufactured by Boston Scientific Corporation
Implant and Tissue Replacement Products:
- Belvedere Lateral Plating System manufactured by NeuroStructures
- I-Ring Pupil Expander. Iris retraction device manufactured by Beaver-Visitec International
- Ready-For-Surgery FlowerCube manufactured by Flower Orthopedics
- RIGIDLOOP™ Adjustable Cortical Fixation System manufactured by DePuy Synthes Companies
Nonsurgical Hospital Supplies and Equipment:
- CareBag bedpan and commode pail liner manufactured by Cleanis Inc.
- Envella Air Fluidized Therapy Bed manufactured by Hill-Rom, Inc.
- Gavi manufactured by Genea Biomedx
- ivWatch Model 400 manufactured by ivWatch, LLC
- Tube-Evac manufactured by Lighthouse for the Blind
Radiological, Imaging, and Electromechanical Devices:
- AmiCORE manufactured by Fresenius Kabi
- EyeOP1 Non-invasive glaucoma therapy manufactured by Eye Tech care
- Geri manufactured by Genea Biomedx
- Hologic Affirm Prone Biopsy Table manufactured by Hologic Croporation
- sonicVac manufactured by Misonix
- VECTRA WB360 manufactured by Canfield Scientific
Rehabilitation and Assistive-Technology Products:
- Eargo manufactured by Eargo
- Kinnex manufactured by Freedom Innovations, LLC
- Linx manufactured by Blatchford
- OASUS - Open Area Support System manufactured by Enliten LLC
Testing and Diagnostic Products and Systems:
- ADEXUSDx hCG Test manufactured by NOWDiagnostics
- ePlex manufactured by GenMark Diagnostics, Inc.
- FreeStyle Libre manufactured by Abbott Laboratories
- SAMBA manufactured by Diagnostics for the Real World LTD
To register for UBM's Advanced Design and Manufacturing Event in New York, please visit: http://ubm.io/NYRegistration
To register for a media pass, please visit: newyork.am.ubm.com/2017/registrations/Media
About Advanced Manufacturing Expos & Conferences
UBM's Advanced Manufacturing portfolio is the leading B-to-B event producer, publisher, and digital media business for the world's $3 trillion advanced, technology-based manufacturing industry. Our print and electronic products deliver trusted information to the advanced manufacturing market and leverage our proprietary 1.3 million name database to connect suppliers with buyers and purchase influencers. We produce more than 50 events and conferences in a dozen countries, connecting manufacturing professionals from around the globe. The Advanced Manufacturing portfolio is organized by UBM plc. UBM is the largest pure-play B2B Events organizer in the world. Our 3,750+ people, based in more than 20 countries, serve more than 50 different sectors. Our deep knowledge and passion for these sectors allow us to create valuable experiences which enable our customers to succeed. Please visit www.ubm.com for the latest news and information about UBM.
UBM plc is the largest pure-play B2B Events organizer in the world. In an increasingly digital world, the value of connecting on a meaningful, human level has never been more important. At UBM, our deep knowledge and passion for the industry sectors we serve allow us to create valuable experiences where people can succeed. At our events people build relationships, close deals and grow their businesses. Our 3,750+ people, based in more than 20 countries, serve more than 50 different sectors – from fashion to pharmaceutical ingredients. These global networks, skilled, passionate people and market-leading events provide exciting opportunities for business people to achieve their ambitions. For more information, go to www.ubm.com; for UBM corporate news, follow us on Twitter at @UBM
SOURCE UBM Americas