DALLAS, Nov. 18, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- The MEF today announced the winners of the MEF 2015 Excellence Awards. The Awards program is the largest, longest-running in the world focused on Carrier Ethernet services and applications and is the first in the industry to spotlight leadership in emerging dynamic Third Network services powered by CE 2.0, Lifecycle Service Orchestration (LSO), NFV, and SDN networking technologies.
The winners of 31 awards were presented at a special MEF Excellence Awards Dinner on 17 November – a highlight of the GEN15 (www.gen15.com) global networking event held during 16-19 November at the Omni Hotel in Dallas, Texas.
"We had an outstanding level of quality from the entries for this year's new Excellence Awards program, with a particularly large numbers of entries in the technology-related categories," said Nan Chen, President of the MEF. "The quality of the submissions reflects the excellent progress in reshaping the communications landscape and delivering new, innovative solutions for the global digital economy."
The judging panel for the awards was comprised of global and regional senior analysts from Current Analysis, Frost & Sullivan, IDC, IHS Infonetics, Metanoia, Ovum, SDxCentral, Vertical Systems, and independent judges.
MEF 2015 Excellence Awards Winners are listed below.
Enterprise Application of the Year Award Winners
- Best Application of the Year – Education – Comcast Business
- Best Application of the Year – Financial – TATA Communications
- Best Application of the Year – Government – AT&T
- Best Application of the Year – Healthcare – AT&T
- Best Application of the Year – Sports & Entertainment – Colt
- Best Application of the Year – Media – Telecom Italia Sparkle
- Best Application of the Year – Professional services – Colt
Service Innovation of the Year Award Winners
- Best Service Innovation of the Year – APAC – Telstra
- Best Service Innovation of the Year – EMEA – Telecom Italia Sparkle
- Best Service Innovation of the Year – North America – AT&T
- Best Service Innovation of the Year – Global – Telstra
Retail Service Provider of the Year Award Winners
- Retail Service Provider of the Year – APAC - PLDT
- Retail Service Provider of the Year – CALA - Level 3
- Retail Service Provider of the Year – EMEA – Colt
- Retail Service Provider of the Year – North America – Level 3
- Retail Service Provider of the Year – Global – Level 3
Wholesale Service Provider of the Year Award Winners
- Wholesale Provider of the Year APAC – Telstra
- Wholesale Provider of the Year CALA – Level 3
- Wholesale Provider of the Year EMEA – Colt
- Wholesale Provider of the Year North America – Level 3
- Wholesale Provider of the Year Global - PCCW
Best Service Provider Marketing of the Year Award Winner – Time Warner Cable Business Class
Best Service Provider Network Innovation of the Year Award Winner – Colt
Third Network Technology Solutions of the Year Award Winners
- Third Network Technology of the Year – CE 2.0 – Overture Networks
- Third Network Technology of the Year – LSO (Lifecycle Service Orchestration) – Ciena
- Third Network Technology of the Year – Multi-Vendor Solutions – Oracle Communications, InfoVista and Juniper Networks
- Third Network Technology of the Year – NFV-Based CPE – Accedian Networks
- Third Network Technology Solutions Vendor of the Year – Ciena
Professional of the Year Award Winners
- MEF Carrier Ethernet Certified Professional (MEF-CECP) of the Year – Marjory Sy, PLDT
- MEF Distinguished Fellows – Eric Puetz, AT&T and Raghu Ranganathan, Ciena
- MEF Industry Person of the Year – Axel Clauberg, Deutsche Telekom
Raghu Ranganathan, Director, MEF and Principal, Office of CTO, Ciena said: "I am very excited to receive this recognition and would like to thank Ciena for supporting my participation in MEF all these years. Collaboration with peers across the industry is key and I looking forward to more exciting progress towards realizing the Third Network vision."
"We're honored to have our Network on Demand capability recognized by the MEF," said Josh Goodell, vice president of Network on Demand, AT&T. "We'll continue to enhance our platform and bring innovative technologies to market with the goal of helping to advance our business customers and the industry."
Matthias Hain, Director Product Management, Colt Technology Services said: "Once again we are very proud about our achievement confirming our consistence in high innovation and leading customer focus in providing the best Ethernet Services to them. "
"The recognition of our industry peers and the analyst community of the strength of our Ethernet offering to the financial sector is a great compliment to the team at Tata Communications," said James Walker, Vice President of Managed Network Services at Tata Communications. "Our case study covered a global datacentre network core for a major global bank, where the customer tells us we have shown real innovation and delivered a major benefit to their application infrastructure. We're very proud that this was also the view of the award selection committee."
About the MEF
The MEF is the driving force behind the ~$80 billion global market for Carrier Ethernet services and technologies and the defining body for LSO (Lifecycle Service Orchestration) standards that underpin emerging Third Network services with CE 2.0, SDN, and NFV. An industry alliance consisting of nearly 220 member organizations based in 43 countries, the MEF operates through a powerful collaborative framework of service providers, network solutions suppliers, and other stakeholders to achieve CE 2.0 and LSO development and globalization objectives.
MEF's flagship work is CE 2.0, including specifications, operational frameworks, and certification programs for services, equipment, and professionals. Visit www.mef.net for more details on these programs.
Building on fourteen years of success with Carrier Ethernet, the MEF is now focused on development of LSO with APIs to enable paradigm-shifting agile, assured, and orchestrated services over more efficient, automated networks. The MEF's vision for the transformation of network connectivity services and the networks used to deliver them is referred to as the "Third Network," which combines the on-demand agility and ubiquity of the Internet with the performance and security assurances of CE 2.0. For information on the Third Network and LSO download the MEF's Third Network Vision & Strategy White Paper and Third Network Lifecycle Service Orchestration (LSO) Vision White Paper.