TROY, Mich., April 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- In honor of the 42nd Earth Day, Meritor, Inc. (NYSE: MTOR) is renewing focus on its environmental stewardship efforts, including the company's innovative "green" product designs and processes at company facilities across the globe.
"Meritor focuses its sustainability efforts in three key areas: social responsibility and governance; operational excellence in environmental protection and safety; and innovative product design," said Chip McClure, chairman, CEO and president, Meritor. "We feel it is our responsibility to be good stewards of the environment and of the communities in which we operate. All Meritor facilities are engaged in these sustainable efforts and I'm proud of the progress we've made and will continue to make."
McClure cited a few examples of the company's environmental stewardship efforts:
- Two Meritor sites are now landfill free (Lindesberg, Sweden and Manning, S.C.), with a long-range goal of eliminating waste to landfills at all manufacturing facilities.
- Ninety percent of all waste is recycled from operations.
- More than 17 million "Green Miles" were achieved in 2011. Green Miles are miles that are eliminated or not driven by using more efficient routes. Meritor also combines partial cargo loads into one load with multiple stops.
- More than 24,000 tons of metal recycled in Meritor's remanufacturing operations each year.
In addition, these fuel-efficient products provide superior performance, energy efficiency and reliability:
- FUELite tandem axle delivers nearly 400 pounds in weight savings and an approximate 2 percent increase in fuel efficiency when compared to a traditional 6x4 configuration.
- SMARTandem axle provides fuel economy gains of 3 to 5 percent compared with a conventional 6x4 axle.
- LogixDrive system actively monitors and controls oil levels in the axle, providing truck fuel savings up to 1 percent.
- Meritor Dual Mode Hybrid drivetrain offers 10 to 15 percent improved fuel economy, plus the ability to operate in "zero emissions (ZEV)" mode.
Visit the Meritor.com for more about Meritor's Sustainability efforts.
About Meritor, Inc.
Meritor, Inc. is a leading global supplier of drivetrain, mobility, braking and aftermarket solutions for commercial vehicle and industrial markets. With more than a 100-year legacy of providing innovative products that offer superior performance, efficiency and reliability, the company serves commercial truck, trailer, off-highway, defense, specialty and aftermarket customers in more than 70 countries. Meritor is based in Troy, Mich., United States, and is made up of approximately 10,000 diverse employees who apply their knowledge and skills in manufacturing facilities, engineering centers, joint ventures, distribution centers and global offices in 19 countries. Common stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol MTOR. For important information, visit the company's website at meritor.com.
SOURCE Meritor, Inc.