This report considers the diagnostic promise of non-coding RNA molecules, with a particular focus on the microRNAs. miRNAs (MicroRNAs) are short, single stranded RNAs that regulate mRNA expression at the post-transcriptional level. These small bits of RNA, members of a class of non-translated molecules that do not produce protein, shut off gene transcription by base pairing with the target molecules. They are now recognized as pivotal regulators of gene expression; including development, proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis and serving widespread functions as regulatory molecules in post-transcriptional gene silencing. As the report details, a large number of companies, both small biotechs and big pharmaceutical companies are committed to miRNA diagnostics.
As part of its coverage of this topic, this report includes the following:
- Overview of miRNAs
- Positive Factors for miRNA Diagnostic Technologies
- Negative Factors
- miRNAs and Neurological Disorders
- miRNA and Metastatic Brain Lesions
- Prostate Cancer Screening and miRNAs
- miRNAs and Resistance to Anti-Cancer Drugs
- Theoretical Limitations
- Discussion of Patent Issues
- Interviews with Industry Experts
- Market Estimate
One the positive side of the equation, the technology is innovative, and offers the promise of non-invasive diagnostics for cancer and other disorders that could be cheaper, faster and more accurate than existing tests, which are either non-existent or leave much to be desired. On the negative side of the equation, there are many complex challenges that must be resolved before the technology can be applicable. There is a need for large scale clinical trials, and rigorous standardization of the assay conditions, given the fact that the assessments of serum levels of miRNA molecules are quantitative. This report considers the potential for the miRNA market in research and diagnostics and the challenges. In doing so, the report looks at several companies currently developing research and diagnostic miRNA technologies.
As part of its coverage, the miRNA offerings and products in developments in the following companies are profiled in detail.
- Agilent Technologies
- Applied Biosystems
- DiamiR, LLC
- Eisai Biomarkers and Personalized Medicine
- Genomic Health Inc.
- GlaxoSmithKline Discovery and Molecular Toxicology
- Groove Biopharma (formerly Mirina)
- Hologic-Gen Probe Inc.
- Illumina, Inc.
- Isis Pharmaceuticals
- Mello Biotechnology Inc.
- Microlin Bio
- MiRagen Therapeutics
- MiRNA Therapeutics
- Pacific Edge Biotechnology
- Prolias Technologies
- Regulus Therapeutics
- Rosetta Genomics
- Santaris Pharma A/S
- Sirnaomics, Inc.
- Diagnostics: Small RNA Assays and Biomarker Validation
- Tekmira Pharmaceuticals Corporation
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
Key Topics Covered:
1. Executive Summary
3. Current State of the Art
4. Companies Developing microRNA Diagnostic Technologies
5. Market Estimates and Forecasts
6. Interviews with Industry Experts: Biomarkers
7. The Future of miRNA-Based Diagnostics
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/24hhm2/mirna_research
Media Contact: Laura Wood , +353-1-481-1716, [email protected]
SOURCE Research and Markets