31 Mar, 2021, 10:46 ET
FOSTER CITY, Calif., March 31, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- A recent Modernize survey of 1,500 homeowners planning home improvements finds that 40 percent of respondents embark on their project to save money on utility bills. With energy costs predicted to rise significantly in the coming months, consumers may be seeking guidance on how to reduce heating and cooling expenses.
To help homeowners address their energy cost concerns, Modernize, a leader in the home improvement and home services industry, releases a comprehensive guide outlining home improvement projects that offer significant energy savings. The guide addresses four core energy-related home improvement areas —heating and cooling, solar energy, windows, and roofing—as well as tips that apply to the entire home.
Please see the full guide: A Homeowner's Guide to Savings.
- Heating and cooling: Understanding when to replace a heating and cooling system is key to boosting a home's energy efficiency and ultimately saving money. Factors like size, age, and insulation can determine the best time to upgrade an HVAC system.
- Solar energy: Adding solar panels to a home can generate up to $40,000 in energy savings over 20 years. It is important to understand what makes a home a good candidate for solar panels. Calculating the return on investment, accessing available rebates and incentives, and speaking to a professional can help homeowners make an informed decision.
- Windows: Windows are estimated to be responsible for 25-30 percent of home heating and cooling energy loss so, along with replacing an HVAC system, it may pay off to upgrade window frames, glass, and coatings that can minimize hot and cold air escaping from a home.
- Roofing: While many homeowners may not realize the role that their roof plays in their energy costs, roofs have properties that can make a home significantly warmer, thus increasing cooling costs. Depending on the age of the roof and the weather damage it has sustained, a replacement may drive cooling costs down.
- Whole home tips: Opportunities for increased energy efficiency can be found throughout a home, such as by fixing air leaks, insulating pipes, using LED light bulbs, and getting window coverings.
"Almost every component of your home — from the roof to the insulation — offers an opportunity for saving money on utility costs every month," says Gregg Hicks, vice president of Modernize.com. "While many home improvement projects require careful planning and budgeting, understanding the short- and long-term savings can make certain expenses worth the investment."
Hicks is available to answer questions about projects that increase home energy efficiency and offer guidance on hiring a reliable contractor for various home improvements.
For more than 15 years, Modernize has been a leader in the home improvement and services industry, connecting homeowners with contractors and other home services professionals. Modernize operates in more than 15 high-value, high-consideration home segments, including new and replacement windows, solar installation, roofing, heating and air conditioning, siding, bathrooms and kitchens, new and replacement gutters, home security, and others. The business brings a network of more than 1,000 contractors and professionals across all segments, offering broad geographical coverage and choice for homeowners.
Modernize is owned and operated by QuinStreet, Inc. (Nasdaq: QNST), a leader in providing performance marketplace technologies and services to the financial services and home services industries. QuinStreet is a pioneer in delivering online marketplace solutions to match searchers with brands in digital media. The company is committed to providing consumers with the information and tools they need to research, find and select the products and brands that meet their needs. Modernize is a member of QuinStreet's expert research and publishing division.
Senior Director of Public Relations
Direct +1 775 321 3608
Email [email protected]
Share this article