MOG Announces Beta Release of Desktop Client for Mac
Native App Integrates AirPlay and Brings MOG's Award-Winning Music Service Straight to the Desktop
Sep 09, 2011, 08:00 ET
BERKELEY, Calif., Sept. 9, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- MOG, the critically acclaimed, on-demand music listening service, today announced the beta release of its desktop client for Mac OS. The highly requested new application is powered by an entirely new audio engine designed to provide the best possible playback experience without the need for a Web browser. Listeners will enjoy the speed and convenience of the desktop client, which enhances MOG's one-stop, on-demand and unlimited music discovery experience with all the benefits of a native app for Mac OS, including remote control and keyboard shortcuts.
MOG is now the first and only streaming music service to offer native AirPlay support. The desktop client's unique built-in AirPlay technology enables listeners to instantly stream MOG's high quality, 320 kbps audio wirelessly to multiple supported devices and speakers without the need for a third party app.
The MOG desktop client integrates key benefits of a native app for Mac OS into MOG's user interface. Playback can be controlled with keyboard shortcuts via Apple's media keys, or with Apple's remote controls. The beta desktop client includes the rich features and streamlined design of MOG's new beta HTML5 web player.
"Every type of listener has a different preference for accessing MOG," said David Hyman, founder and CEO of MOG. "Our goal is to meet and exceed every individual listener's needs with innovations that transcend the status quo. Many of our subscribers requested a native app, so we developed a desktop client based on the slick interface of our new HTML5 beta player, and leveraged all the benefits of a native app for Mac OS, to enhance the desktop client listening experience. We think our listeners will be thrilled to enjoy all the great music discovery features MOG has recently developed, combined with the additional benefits of a native app."
MOG subscribers will enjoy the following desktop client app features:
- Unlimited music: Access to over 11 million songs and over one million albums, on-demand.
- Built-in AirPlay support: MOG is the only service to incorporate AirPlay support, empowering listeners to stream directly to their stereo system via Airport Express, AppleTV, and all other Airplay-enabled devices.
- High quality audio: Native audio decoder enables even higher fidelity streaming of MOG's 320 kbps audio.
- Keyboard shortcuts: Apple's media keys can be used to play/pause/skip backward & forward through the play queue.
- Remote control: Desktop client supports Apple remotes, for playback control at a distance.
- Best-in-class, personal radio: The most powerful music discovery engine on the planet (powered by MOG Mobius™) enables Artist-only or Similar Artists radio.
- Personalized recommendations: Browsable "Just For You" section based on a listener's music habits on MOG and their Artist "likes" on Facebook. "Inspired by friends" section populated by their friends' Artist "likes" on Facebook.
- One-click access: With one click, get instant access to New Releases, Top Artists, Top Albums and Editor's Picks.
- Anytime, anywhere: MOG desktop client app enables unlimited access to MOG from any computer on which it has been installed.
Users can install the beta release of MOG's desktop client for Mac OS by downloading the desktop client from Apple's Mac App Store, at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mog/id455316411?ls=1&mt=12.
MOG's desktop client for Mac OS is available for free to new and existing subscribers from the iTunes App Store. After a 14-day free trial, users can subscribe to MOG Primo for $9.99/month at mog.com. MOG Primo provides listeners with unlimited access to over 11 million songs from virtually anywhere – online, through its Mac desktop client, on mobile devices including Android and iPhone with the ability to listen offline, through streaming entertainment devices including Roku and Sonos, and consumer electronic devices including LG internet connected TVs and blu-ray players. MOG Basic is also available for $4.99 and includes unlimited access to MOG's vast catalog online, through its Mac desktop client, through Roku, and on LG Internet connected TVs and Blu-ray players.
User feedback on this 1.0 release is highly encouraged as MOG continues to update and making improvements to the app, and can be posted at http://feedback.mog.com.
About MOG Inc.
MOG Inc. is a next-generation music media company founded in June 2005 by David Hyman, former CEO for Gracenote. MOG's all-you-can-eat, on-demand listening service provides access to a vast library of over 11 million songs and over one million albums through its mobile apps on iPhone and Android phones, online, and on streaming entertainment and consumer electronic devices. MOG Inc. is also the provider of The MOG Music Network (MMN), the premier destination for music content online and largest music focused advertising network consisting of over 1500 music sites, reaching over 59 million people each month.
Headquartered in Berkeley, California, MOG Inc. investors include Menlo Ventures, Balderton Capital, Simon Equity Partners, Universal Music Group and Sony Music. Grammy-winning record producer, Rick Rubin, named by Time Magazine as one of the "100 Most Influential People in the world," is a member of MOG's Board of Directors.
Share this article