SAN JOSE, Calif., Aug. 2, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Monolithic Power Systems (MPS) (Nasdaq: MPWR), a leading fabless manufacturer of high-performance analog and mixed-signal semiconductors, today updates it guidance related to research and development and selling, general and administrative expenses. The entire guidance for the third quarter ending September 30, 2011 is as follows:
The following are MPS' financial targets for the third quarter ending September 30, 2011:
- Revenues in the range of $56 million to $60 million.
- Gross margin in the range of 52.0% to 52.5%.
- Litigation expense in the range of $0.6 million to $0.8 million.
- Research and development and selling, general and administrative expenses between $21.5 million and $23.9 million. Non-GAAP(1) research and development and selling, general and administrative expenses between $18.5 million and $20.5 million. This excludes an estimate of stock-based compensation expense in the range of $3.0 million to $3.4 million.
Three months ended
R&D and SG&A
Adjustments to reconcile R&D and SG&A to non-GAAP R&D and SG&A
Non-GAAP R&D and SG&A
(1) Projected non-GAAP research and development and selling, general and administrative expenses exclude the effect of stock-based compensation expense. These non-GAAP financial measures are not prepared in accordance with GAAP and should not be considered as a substitute for, or superior to, measures of financial performance prepared in accordance with GAAP. A schedule reconciling non-GAAP financial measures is included at the end of this press release. Non-GAAP financial measures should not be considered as a substitute for, or superior to, measures of financial performance prepared in accordance with GAAP. MPS utilizes both GAAP and non-GAAP financial measures to assess what it believes to be its core operating performance and to evaluate and manage its internal business and assist in making financial operating decisions. MPS believes that the inclusion of non-GAAP financial measures, together with GAAP measures, provides investors with an alternative presentation useful to investors' understanding of MPS' core operating results and trends. Additionally, MPS believes that the inclusion of non-GAAP measures, together with GAAP measures, provides investors with an additional dimension of comparability to similar companies. However, investors should be aware that non-GAAP financial measures utilized by other companies are not likely to be comparable in most cases to the non-GAAP financials measures used by MPS.
Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements, as that term is defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including, among other things, projected revenues, gross margin, GAAP and non-GAAP research and development and selling, general and administrative expenses, stock-based compensation expense and litigation expense for the quarter ending September 30, 2011. These forward-looking statements are not historical facts or guarantees of future performance or events, are based on current expectations, estimates, beliefs, assumptions, goals, and objectives, and involve significant known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause actual results to be materially different from the results expressed by these statements. Readers of this press release and listeners to the accompanying conference call are cautioned not to place undue reliance on any forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date hereof. Factors that could cause actual results to differ include, but are not limited to, our ability to attract new customers and retain existing customers; acceptance of, or demand for, MPS' products, in particular the new products launched within the past 18 months, being different than expected; competition generally and the increasingly competitive nature of our industry; any market disruptions or interruptions in MPS' schedule of new product release development; adverse changes in production and testing efficiency of our products; adverse changes in government regulations in foreign countries where MPS has offices or operations; the effect of catastrophic events; adequate supply of our products from our third-party manufacturer; the risks, uncertainties and costs of litigation in which the Company is involved; the outcome of any upcoming trials, hearings, motions and appeals; the adverse impact on MPS' financial performance if its tax and litigation provisions are inadequate; adverse changes or developments in the semiconductor industry generally; difficulty in predicting or budgeting for future customer demand and channel inventories, expenses and financial contingencies; and other important risk factors identified in MPS' SEC filings, including, but not limited to, its Form 10-K filed on March 4, 2011 and its Form 10-Q filed on April 28, 2011.
The forward-looking statements in this press release represent MPS' projections and current expectations, as of the date hereof, not predictions of actual performance. MPS assumes no obligation to update the information in this press release or in the accompanying conference call.
About Monolithic Power Systems, Inc.
Monolithic Power Systems, Inc. (MPS) develops and markets proprietary, advanced analog and mixed-signal semiconductors. The company combines advanced process technology with its highly experienced analog designers to produce high-performance power management integrated circuits (ICs) for DC to DC converters, LED drivers, Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp (CCFL) backlight controllers, Class D audio amplifiers, and Linear ICs. MPS products are used extensively in computing and network communications products, LCD monitors and TVs, and a wide variety of consumer and portable electronics products. MPS partners with world-class manufacturing organizations to deliver top quality, ultra-compact, high-performance solutions through the most productive, cost-efficient channels. Founded in 1997 and headquartered in San Jose, California, the company has expanded its global presence with sales offices in Taiwan, China, Korea, Japan, and Europe, which operate under MPS International, Ltd.
Monolithic Power Systems, MPS, and the MPS logo are registered trademarks of Monolithic Power Systems, Inc. in the U.S. and trademarked in certain other countries.
SOURCE Monolithic Power Systems, Inc.