JACKSON, Mich., May 16, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Dawn Foods, a global manufacturer and ingredients supplier to bakeries around the world, today released findings from its inaugural Donut Day surveyi that found the majority of Gen Z (those aged 18-21) and Millennial (those aged 22-34) consumers (82 percent) are interested in trying unique and adventurous donut flavors, such as pickle-flavored donuts, sriracha and s'mores. For nearly 100 years, Dawn has partnered with bakers around the world to help them think outside the box and deliver original tastes and flavors to their customers. These bakers produce the world's best donuts every day – including innovative new mashups such as grilled cheese donuts as well as beloved favorites like chocolate glaze and everything in-between.
"Our company began in 1920 with the basics: two bakers and a recipe for delicious donuts and now, almost 100 years later, if you've ever had a donut in this country, you've likely tasted our ingredients," said Angie Goldberg, Chief Marketing Officer, Dawn Foods. "As the popularity of this sweet treat grows, our team will continue to deliver the ingredients, inspiration and innovation needed to help our customers satisfy this demand."
Tried & True Flavors Win the Day, While Unique Tastes are Rising
The top unique donut flavors all adults crave range from nostalgic S'mores and Peanut Butter & Jelly, to edgy flavors infused with alcohol and bacon:
- S'mores (29 percent)
- Mango (18 percent)
- Alcohol-Inspired (17 percent)
- Breakfast Cereal, Bacon-Infused and Peanut Butter & Jelly were tied with 16 percent
Additional survey findings include the following.
- Donuts are still a popular treat: More than a third of consumers (37 percent) eat donuts at least once a month
- Classic flavors remain strong: More than 50 percent prefer classic donut dough flavors such as chocolate (22%), plain (16%) and old fashioned (13%)
- Younger audiences are most likely to branch out: 82 percent of Millennials and Generation Z consumers are interested in trying new and unique donut flavors
- Parents prefer tipsy donuts: Those most interested in trying alcohol-inspired donuts were parentsii (21%)
- More adventurous palates are out west: West coast consumers are the most adventurous donut eaters, with 72 percent saying they'd try bold donut flavors
- Men are more spicy than the ladies: 7 percent of men said they would try a spicy donut (habanero or sriracha), while only 5 percent of women would
"Today, the options to delight consumers are virtually limitless," said Goldberg. "Whether it's National Donut Day or Friday at the office, we know donuts will continue to be enjoyed by consumers for years to come."
For more information on the survey findings, please visit: http://www.dawnfoods.com/about-us/news-press/detail/2018/05/15/donuts-rising.
About Dawn Food Products, Inc.
Global bakery manufacturer and ingredients supplier Dawn Food Products, Inc. has established itself as the ultimate service provider and inspires bakery success every day. Committed to delighting its customers around the world, Dawn Foods delivers the partnership, insights, innovations, products and bakery expertise that empowers them to achieve their aspirations. Headquartered in Jackson, Michigan, Dawn Foods partners with more than 40,000 artisanal and retail bakers, food service leaders and manufacturers located in more than 100 countries and has 5,000 Team Members globally. For nearly 100 years, Dawn Foods has been a trusted advisor to its customers, helping drive their business forward. For more information about the company, its products and culture, please visit www.dawnfoods.com.
i Survey was conducted online by YouGov Plc among 1,150 U.S. adults (aged 18+), between April 10-11, 2018. All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all US adults (aged 18+).
ii The statistic represents parents who have children under the age of 18.
SOURCE Dawn Food Products, Inc.