CHICAGO, Sept. 12, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Morningstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: MORN), a leading provider of independent investment research, will hold its sixth annual Stocks Forum at its headquarters in Chicago Oct. 13-14, 2011. The event will feature discussions with Morningstar equities strategists and analysts and hands-on workshops designed to dissect the current market environment and explore the complex issues facing investors today.
"Our stocks forum has always been a great opportunity for investors to tap into the expertise of our analysts, who uniquely focus on the long-term value of a business rather than the short-term fluctuation of a stock's price," said Catherine Odelbo, president of equity and credit research for Morningstar. "This year's forum is designed specifically for individual investors, and we hope they will find our insights and recommendations even more relevant to their investment goals, especially in light of the market's volatility."
Oct. 13, 2011: Pre-Forum Workshops
At the pre-forum event on Oct. 13, investors can choose from three different three-hour training sessions, covering dividend investing, 9 a.m.-noon; option investing, 9 a.m.-noon; and stock valuation, 1-4 p.m. The workshops will be led by Morningstar experts.
Oct. 14, 2011: Stocks Forum
The Stocks Forum kicks off at 9 a.m. on Friday, Oct. 14 with a panel discussion about latest research on companies' sustainable competitive advantages and the Morningstar Economic Moat Rating™, moderated by Paul Larson, equities strategist and editor of Morningstar StockInvestor. Later in the day, Larson will also discuss his current stock picks, many of which have a strong record for beating the market. Morningstar experts will lead several strategy sessions:
- Michael Tian, senior equity analyst and editor of the Morningstar Opportunistic Investor newsletter, will share unconventional ideas for investing in smaller-capitalization companies.
- Robert Johnson, director of economic analysis, will cover key economic indicators he is monitoring to determine the direction of the economy and the possibility of another recession.
- Elizabeth Collins, associate director of equity research, will moderate a panel on the long-term consequences of increasing commodity prices and the outlook for gold, copper, aluminum, and other commodities with Morningstar's basic materials specialists.
- Josh Peters, equity-income strategist and editor of the Morningstar DividendInvestor newsletter, will discuss investing for income, income growth, long-term capital appreciation, and his top stock picks in a low-interest-rate environment. Peters will also moderate a panel on the search for income among stocks, bonds, and real estate.
- Phil Guziec, derivatives strategist, and Erik Kobayashi-Solomon, senior options analyst, co-editors of the Morningstar OptionInvestor newsletter, will introduce the three main uses for options—protection, income, and speculation—and strategies to implement each one.
Throughout the Stocks Forum, attendees can speak one-on-one with members of Morningstar's team of 80 equity analysts in the United States and participate in roundtable discussions during breakfast, lunch, and breaks on Oct. 14. To view the complete agenda, please visit http://www.morningstar.com/products/PDF/2011StocksForumAgenda.pdf.
Registration to attend the Morningstar Stocks Forum is $189, and the pre-forum workshops are $99 each. To register, please visit http://www.morningstar.com/Products/store_stockforum.html or call toll free at 866-910-1145. Members of the news media may receive complimentary registration to the Morningstar Stocks Forum by contacting Nadine Youssef at 312-696-6601 or email@example.com or Carling Spelhaug at 312-696-6150 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Morningstar is also offering a separate equities conference for institutional investors, Management Behind the Moat, Nov. 9-10 in Chicago. For more information and to register, please visit http://select.morningstar.com/go/forum/.
About Morningstar, Inc.
Morningstar, Inc. is a leading provider of independent investment research in North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. The company offers an extensive line of products and services for individuals, financial advisors, and institutions. Morningstar provides data on approximately 400,000 investment offerings, including stocks, mutual funds, and similar vehicles, along with real-time global market data on more than 5 million equities, indexes, futures, options, commodities, and precious metals, in addition to foreign exchange and Treasury markets. Morningstar also offers investment management services through its investment management subsidiaries and has more than $180 billion in assets under advisement and management as of June 30, 2011. The company has operations in 26 countries.
©2011 Morningstar, Inc. All rights reserved.
SOURCE Morningstar, Inc.