CHICAGO, May 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Morningstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: MORN), a leading provider of independent investment research, today announced that 12 of its equity analysts have been honored in The Wall Street Journal's 21st annual "Best on the Street" analysts survey. Morningstar had a total of 13 winners, as one analyst ranked in two industries, and the highest-scoring analyst overall among all eligible analysts across participating firms. Of the Morningstar analysts recognized, eight ranked first, four ranked second, and one ranked third in their respective industries.
Morningstar analysts named Best on the Street for 2013 are:
- Karen Andersen, CFA, senior equity analyst, who ranked first in the "Biotechnology" industry, out of 78 analysts, and had the highest score overall;
- Michael Corty, CFA, senior equity analyst, who ranked first in the "Advertising & Publishing" industry, out of 22 analysts, and second in the "Broadcasting & Entertainment" industry, out of 48 analysts;
- Erin Davis, senior equity analyst, who ranked first in the "Banks" industry, out of 147 analysts;
- Daniel Holland, equity analyst, who ranked third in the "Electronic & Electrical Equipment" industry, out of 47 analysts;
- Brett Horn, associate director of equity analysis, who ranked first in the "Business & Industrial Services" industry, out of 75 analysts;
- Jaime Katz, CFA, equity analyst, who ranked first in the "Leisure Goods & Services" industry, out of 39 analysts;
- Erin Lash, CFA, senior equity analyst, who ranked second in the "Food & Tobacco" industry, out of 39 analysts;
- Vincent Lui, CFA, equity analyst, who ranked first in the "Insurance: Life" industry, out of 20 analysts;
- Ken Perkins, equity analyst, who ranked first in the "Beverages" industry, out of 18 analysts;
- Jim Ryan, senior equity analyst, who ranked first in the "Insurance: Non-Life" industry, out of 37 analysts;
- Greggory Warren, CFA, senior equity analyst, who ranked second in the "Investment Services" industry, out of 47 analysts; and
- Drew Woodbury, CFA, equity analyst, who ranked second in the "Insurance: Non-Life" industry, out of 37 analysts.
"I'm so proud of our analyst team, and this recognition from The Wall Street Journal affirms the high quality of our equity research," Heather Brilliant, Morningstar's global director of equity and credit research, said. "Not only do we have the most ranked analysts among participating firms, but we believe our long-term outlook, independence, and emphasis on Economic Moats, or sustainable competitive advantages, differentiates our research and produces compelling stock ideas."
This is the third year that Morningstar has participated in the Best on the Street survey. In both 2011 and 2012, The Wall Street Journal named six Morningstar equity analysts among the top stock-pickers in their respective industries.
The Wall Street Journal's Best on the Street survey identifies the top three analysts in each of 44 industries, based on stock-picking skill. The data were assembled by FactSet, a Norwalk, Conn. company that tracks analysts' recommendations and earnings estimates. To determine the winners, FactSet first identified more than 2,000 analysts at nearly 200 firms who fit the criteria to be counted in the rankings. To be eligible, analysts had to have followed at least five stocks in an industry group
in 2012 that trade on major U.S. exchanges.
Select examples of Morningstar analysts' in-depth company and industry research and a video featuring Brilliant and some of the winning analysts are available at http://global.morningstar.com/BestontheStreet.
Brilliant will host a webinar about Morningstar's approach to equity research at 2 p.m. CST on Thursday, May 30. To register, please visit https://mstar.webex.com/mstar/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=742506852.
Morningstar provides data on approximately 33,600 stocks and has 120 equity and credit analysts worldwide who provide qualitative analyst coverage on about 1,700 companies globally.
About Morningstar, Inc.
Morningstar, Inc. is a leading provider of independent investment research in North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. The company offers an extensive line of products and services for individuals, financial advisors, and institutions. Morningstar provides data on approximately 422,000 investment offerings, including stocks, mutual funds, and similar vehicles, along with real-time global market data on more than 9 million equities, indexes, futures, options, commodities, and precious metals, in addition to foreign exchange and Treasury markets. Morningstar also offers investment management services through its investment management subsidiaries and has approximately $157 billion in assets under advisement and management as of March 31, 2013. The company has operations in 27 countries.
©2013 Morningstar, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SOURCE Morningstar, Inc.