MELVILLE, N.Y., March 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- MSC Industrial Supply Company (NYSE: MSM) of Melville today announced that in addition to its ongoing programs, its Associates participated in five charitable giving programs at the end of 2010 to support its local communities throughout the winter season.
"Our Associates are committed to supporting the communities in which we live and work, and we are always thrilled to be able to give to those who are less fortunate, especially during the winter season," said David Sandler, President and Chief Executive Officer of MSC. "Our tradition of giving back to the community is part of our corporate culture and core values at MSC. It is this culture and the contagious spirit of our Associates that makes me proud to be part of this organization."
Following are key highlights of some of MSC's recent charitable giving efforts:
- The Ronald McDonald House of Long Island "Lights of Love" Celebration: The Ronald McDonald House of Long Island honored MSC for its 15 years of support and donations totaling $115,000 at their annual "Lights of Love" event. In 2005, MSC started a program in which a portion of the sales from specific work gloves are donated to the House. In 2010 alone, the Company donated a total of $21,756 from the glove sales. All of the proceeds from this program benefit The Ronald McDonald House of Long Island.
- Make-A-Wish Campaign: For the 6th consecutive year, MSC Associates raised funds for the Make-A-Wish Foundation to help fund a wish and make a positive and immediate impact on the life of a local child. In 2010, MSC's "Wish Child," Leah, is a nine-year-old girl who wanted to go on a Disney Cruise with her family. MSC matched each Associate's donation and raised a total of $11,640 to send her and her family to Disney World this Spring.
- Children's Gift Card Campaign: MSC has been running this campaign for over a decade, but in 2010, the Company was proud to double its usual donation by giving away 2,000 Toys"R"Us gift cards, each in the amount of $25 for a total donation of $50,000, to various children's charities and other non-profits and hospitals in the greater New York area, including: John Theissen Children's Foundation, North Shore LIJ (Long Island Jewish Health system), New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, The Stony Brook University Medical Center and Winthrop-University's Cancer Center for Kids.
- Adopt-A-Town Drive: For over 13 years, MSC Associates have partnered with Social Services of Nassau County to provide gifts for children in need. Associates choose a child's name from a gift tag hung on the Company's "Giving Tree" and then purchase a gift for that child. In 2010, MSC Associates purchased 140 gifts that were delivered to children for the holidays.
- 21st Annual Festival of Trees: Eleven MSC Associates volunteered at the 21st Annual Festival of Trees held at The Cradle of Aviation Museum in Garden City, New York, to support the United Cerebral Palsy Association of Nassau County, Inc. In addition to volunteering, MSC was a corporate sponsor of this event, and, as part of their sponsorship, purchased a Christmas tree which was put on display in the lobby of the Company's Melville location. The tree will be raffled off to MSC Associates in the 2011 holiday season.
"MSC has been contributing to our foundation for the past 17 years by donating gift cards each holiday season, enabling us to provide special wishes and gifts for children that are sick or underprivileged," said John Theissen, Executive Director & Founder of the John Theissen Children's Foundation. "Without MSC' s support each year, we would not be able to help these children and fulfill their wishes. They have truly made a difference in their lives."
For decades, MSC Associates have dedicated their time and energy to participate in charitable events to support MSC's Community Relations Mission: to make a positive contribution to the communities where we live and work. A critical component of MSC's culture, the Company has a designated community relations team which implements these programs and supports the efforts of its Associates.
In 2010, over 200 Associates gathered in the evenings and on weekends to take part in such events, and MSC was recognized with three awards for their corporate citizenship efforts. Among them was Association of Fundraising Professionals Long Island Chapter which awarded the Company with the Outstanding Corporation Award. This award recognizes a corporation that demonstrates outstanding commitment through financial support and activity that encourages and motivates others to respond philanthropically to the Long Island community of not-for-profit organizations. In addition, MSC was awarded the Corporate Champion honor by Education and Assistance Corporation for their support of their community.
About MSC Industrial Direct Co., Inc.
Since its founding in 1941, MSC Industrial Supply Company has set the industry standard for quality selection, and customer service; making the company one of the nation's leading distributors of metalworking and maintenance, repair and operating supplies. For more information, please visit www.mscdirect.com
SOURCE MSC Industrial Direct Co., Inc.