SAN FRANCISCO, November 24, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --
Global narcolepsy therapeutics market is expected to reach over USD 1,996.06 million by 2020, according to a new study by Grand View Research Inc. Growing prevalence of the target disease is anticipated to be the key driver for narcolepsy therapeutics industry growth. According to the estimates by the Narcolepsy Network, approximately 1 in 2,000 people in the U.S. suffer from the target disease. Steep increase in the incidence rates of the disease was observed in several countries of Europe after H1N1 vaccination program in 2009, which led to rise in awareness about this rare disorder.
Browse full research report with TOC on "Narcolepsy Therapeutics Market Analysis By Type (Narcolepsy With Cataplexy, Narcolepsy Without Cataplexy, Secondary Narcolepsy) by Treatment (Central Nervous System Stimulants, Sodium Oxybate, Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, Tricyclic Antidepressants) And Segment Forecasts To 2020" at: http://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/narcolepsy-therapeutics-market
Furthermore, patient awareness programs conducted by various organizations, such as Narcolepsy Network Inc., European Narcolepsy Network, Wake Up Narcolepsy, American Sleep Association, Narcolepsy Canada, and Narcolepsy UK accelerate the number of diagnoses and treatment, and drive industry growth. Presence of favorable reimbursement policies for FDA-approved prescription medicines such as Xyrem further boosts the market growth.
Further key findings from the report suggest:
- Narcolepsy with cataplexy segment is estimated to have over 55% market share in 2014 owing to diagnosis of cataplexy as the confirming symptom in the patients. It is estimated that nearly 75% of patients are expected to have symptoms of cataplexy over a period of time.
- Narcolepsy without cataplexy is estimated to be the fastest growing segment of market with a CAGR of over 12% during the forecast period. Key factor attributing for the market growth includes rising number of awareness campaigns conducted by various narcolepsy networks, which are expected to increase the number of diagnoses and treatment over the forecast period.
- Sodium Oxybate dominated the overall industry in 2014, with market share of over 78%. Xyrem is the only FDA-approved drug specially indicated for usage in cataplexy and EDS associated with narcolepsy from this category. Presence of favorable reimbursement policies, high prices associated with this drug, and the rising awareness levels pertaining to the disease are few factors responsible for the large share of this segment.
- CNS stimulants are considered to be the first line of treatment for various sleep disorders such as ADHD, obstructive sleep apnea, and work shift disorder. However, they are estimated to lose market share over the forecast period owing to patent expiration of key drugs in this category such as Provigil and Nuvigil.
- Europe is estimated to be the largest region of the industry. It dominated the market in terms of revenue with USD 375.23 million in 2014, owing to better patient and practitioner awareness levels about this rare disorder and presence of favorable government initiatives pertaining to its research and development.
- Asia Pacific is expected to witness significant growth with a CAGR of around 13% over the forecast period owing to emerging economies in this region, rising investments in pharmaceutical and biotechnology sector, supportive government initiatives, and rapidly growing healthcare industry. Moreover, prevalence rates in Japan are reported to be the highest as compared to the other major countries of the world.
- Major players operating in the market include Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., Addrenex Pharmaceuticals, Jazz Pharmaceuticals Plc, Arena Pharmaceuticals, Ligand Pharmaceuticals, Graymark Healthcare Inc., Shire Plc, and BIOPROJET
- Industry participants are constantly engaged in spreading awareness about this rare disease amongst the physicians and the patients. Strategic alliances and licensing deals amongst the major players of the industry further drive industry growth.
Grand View Research has segmented the global narcolepsy therapeutics market on the basis of type, treatment, and region:
- Global Narcolepsy Therapeutics Type Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2012 - 2020)
- Narcolepsy with cataplexy
- Narcolepsy without cataplexy
- Secondary narcolepsy Reagents
- Global Narcolepsy Therapeutics Treatment (Revenue, USD Million, 2012 - 2020)
- Central Nervous System Stimulants
- Sodium Oxybate
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI)
- Tricyclic Antidepressants
- Narcolepsy Therapeutics Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2012 - 2020)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
Browse related reports by Grand View Research:
- ePharmacies Market - http://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/epharmacies-market
- Nuclear Medicines Market - http://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/nuclear-medicines-market
- Biopharmaceutical Market - http://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/biopharmaceutical-market
- Monoclonal Antibody Market - http://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/monoclonal-antibody-market
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, Inc. is a U.S. based market research and consulting company, registered in the State of California and headquartered in San Francisco. The company provides syndicated research reports, customized research reports, and consulting services. To help clients make informed business decisions, we offer market intelligence studies ensuring relevant and fact-based research across a range of industries, from technology to chemicals, materials and healthcare.
SOURCE Grand View Research, Inc.