ALEXANDRIA, Va., Oct. 18, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- National PTA announced this week that over $300,000 in grants have been awarded to more than 200 PTAs and schools across the country for programming during this school year. The funding is part of National PTA's PTA Connected, STEM + Families, healthy lifestyles and Take Your Family to School Week initiatives—key aspects of the association's long-standing efforts to make a difference in the education, health, safety and well-being of every child through advocacy and family and community education.
"With the grants, these PTAs and schools will educate, engage and empower families; support student success; improve the health of students; expand knowledge about online safety; and increase access to STEM education," said Leslie Boggs, president of National PTA. "National PTA is thrilled to provide the PTAs and schools with resources to support their work in these areas of critical importance to families and to the lives and futures of every child."
Following are the grant recipients:
- 75 local PTAs have been selected to receive a $1,000 grant and 18 state/district/council/regional PTAs have been awarded a $5,000 grant from National PTA and Google to host Be Internet Awesome Family Workshops.
- 25 local PTAs have been awarded a $1,000 grant to host a Smart Talk conversation at their school in conjunction with Safer Internet Day, which will be celebrated Feb. 11, 2020. The grants are sponsored by Symantec.
- Five local PTAs have been awarded a $1,000 grant to promote digital family safety tools in conjunction with Safer Internet Day. The grants are sponsored by Life360, a leading safety and coordination service for families.
- 30 local PTAs have been selected to receive a $1,000 grant plus $250 in materials and five state/district/council/regional PTAs have been awarded a $3,000 grant plus $500 in materials to engage families in science education. The grants are sponsored by Bayer.
- 35 local PTAs have been awarded a $1,000 grant sponsored by Mathnasium to host a math night for families at their schools.
- 25 local PTAs have been selected to receive a $1,000 grant sponsored by Nestlé Waters North America along with Nestlé® Pure Life® bottled water to host healthy hydration events in their communities to encourage families to choose water and show the important role water plays in an overall healthy lifestyle.
- 15 local PTAs have been awarded a $1,000 grant to promote family engagement in education during Take Your Family to School Week, Feb. 16-23, 2020. The grants are made possible by support from Office Depot.
"We are grateful to all of our sponsors for supporting the efforts of PTA to make a difference in the education, health, safety and well-being of every child," added Nathan R. Monell, CAE, National PTA executive director. "Together, we are supporting families and helping all children realize their full potential."
About National PTA
National PTA® comprises millions of families, students, teachers, administrators, and business and community leaders devoted to the educational success of children and the promotion of family engagement in schools. PTA is a registered 501(c) (3) nonprofit association that prides itself on being a powerful voice for all children, a relevant resource for families and communities, and a strong advocate for public education. Membership in PTA is open to anyone who wants to be involved and make a difference for the education, health and welfare of children and youth. For more information, visit PTA.org.
SOURCE National PTA