COLUMBUS, Ohio, Oct. 6, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Nationwide claims representatives and agents are prepared to assist members as Matthew approaches the United States. Nationwide has people and resources in place to respond to its members' needs.
Policyholders with storm damage should call the Nationwide claims hotline at 1-800-421-3535 or contact their local agent.
"Claims reported by our members will be assessed quickly to assure fast and quality service," said Ken Enscoe, Nationwide's senior claims director of catastrophe operations. "It's important for us to prepare early and be ready to act quickly for our members."
Storm centers are planned for areas hardest hit to receive and handle claims from members. Nationwide urges policyholders to review their insurance policies. Policyholders also can take the following steps now:
- Read and understand your insurance policy.
- Examine your property to ensure there are no physical and/or liability hazards present.
- Protect the four critical areas where wind can enter: roof, windows, doors and garage doors. Either you or a building contractor can build and install temporary protection, such as approved wind shutters or plywood on windows and coverings for patio and entry doors, strengthen and stiffen garage doors, and install heavy-duty door hardware.
- Turn off power and water.
- Move anything in your yard that can become flying debris inside your house or garage.
- Protect mementos in waterproof containers and/or take the items with you if you evacuate.
- Inventory valuables and contents in the home with pictures or video. Note the approximate value of each item and the date of purchase. You can also send an inventory to a family member outside your region for safekeeping.
- Make sure important documents, such as an insurance policy or mortgage papers, are stored in a safe deposit or fire safe box.
Nationwide, a Fortune 100 company based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the U.S. and is rated A+ by both A.M. Best and Standard & Poor's. The company provides a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto, commercial, homeowners, farm and life insurance; public and private sector retirement plans, annuities and mutual funds; banking and mortgages; excess & surplus, specialty and surety; pet, motorcycle and boat insurance. For more information, visit www.nationwide.com.
Nationwide, Nationwide is on your side, Join the Nation and the Nationwide N and Eagle are service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nationwide-is-preparing-for-matthew-300340636.html