FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich., June 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Whether the economy is improving on a large scale or not, a majority of Americans are planning to take a summer vacation by September 2012, according to the Morpace Omnibus.
An online survey of 1,000 consumers nationwide from May 15 to May 22 revealed that 58 percent of Americans will be taking a summer vacation this year, with 26 percent not planning to take one and 16 percent undecided.
Among those who are planning a summer vacation, 61 percent plan to travel within the U.S. and more than 100 miles from their home. Some vacationers will take multiple vacations (such as long weekends) but closer to home stating that they will travel within a 100 mile radius of their home. Surprisingly 17 percent plan to travel internationally.
The Morpace Omnibus also found that:
- About 42 percent will be vacationing for "more than a week" (which could include multiple trips) and 35 percent plan to vacation for "about a week."
- 51 percent of vacationers plan to stay in hotels, motels and inns. The next highest response was that 28 percent would stay with family or friends.
- July is the most popular month for vacations, with 44 percent of Americans taking at least one summer vacation saying they would vacation that month.
- Americans are still watching their budgets -- 34 percent will spend $2,000 or more and the study had an average summer vacation spend of nearly $1,850 per respondent.
- The majority of vacationers will use funds from savings accounts (72 percent) and/or credit cards (43 percent) to pay for their vacations.
Further insights from this Morpace Omnibus are available by reading the full PDF report.
The Morpace Omnibus is fielded online in the U.S. monthly and covers industry-specific topics relating to such industries as automotive, financial services, healthcare, retail & consumer goods and technology. Visit www.morpace.com for more information or contact Morpace at 248-737-5300.
About Morpace Inc.
Morpace is a full-service survey marketing research and consulting organization specializing in the automotive, financial services, health care, retail & consumer goods and technology industries. Morpace provides global expertise and proprietary solutions in four core areas: brand and communications; consumer choice; market and product development; and satisfaction and loyalty.
Morpace, an ISO 9001:2008 certified organization, is headquartered in Detroit with offices in Los Angeles, London and Shanghai. It is one of the 30 largest U.S.-based market research and consulting firms according to the 38th annual Honomichl list of the top 50 market research firms across the U.S. as published in the June 2012 issue of Marketing News, an American Marketing Association (AMA) publication.
SOURCE Morpace Inc.