SAN JOSE, Calif., Nov. 17, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Cypress Semiconductor Corp. (NASDAQ: CY) today announced a new series of the industry's most compact, highly integrated power management ICs (PMICs) that regulate power supply voltage from a vehicle's battery for automotive applications including Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS), body control modules and instrument cluster systems. The Cypress S6BP20x series of automotive PMICs leverages a unique one-channel, buck-boost DC/DC converter to enable Electronic Control Unit (ECU) power management solutions to safely manage extreme battery voltage fluctuations. The PMICs enable small form factor ECU power management solutions that use only one tiny ceramic capacitor instead of the two bulky, expensive electrolytic capacitors required by competitive PMICs.
Cypress also added the S6BP50x PMIC series for automotive instrument cluster systems to its portfolio. The 3-channel output PMICs integrate a buck controller, a buck converter and a boost converter, along with a Spread Spectrum Clock Generator (SSCG), all in a single chip. Both new primary PMIC series complement Cypress's secondary power source S6BP40x series, as well as Cypress's Traveo™ automotive microcontroller (MCU) family. The Cypress automotive PMICs carry AEC-Q100 automotive qualification.
"Cypress continues to add innovative products such as these new power management ICs to strengthen our broad portfolio for automotive applications," said Kiyoe Nagaya, vice president of the Analog Business Unit at Cypress. "Our automotive products adhere to the most stringent standards and offer proven reliability, with more than 60 million automotive PMIC units shipped already."
The ECUs of today's vehicles must be small, low power and able to support system safety functions under all operating conditions, including during cold-cranking—when the automobile engine starter draws an excessive amount of current due to starting the engine in cold temperatures—or load dump—a power surge that occurs when an automobile battery is disconnected while the alternator is supplying current during engine operation. Cypress's S6BP20x automotive PMICs require only nine external components, providing a small PCB layout and reducing the system's bill of materials. The PMICs consume only 20 uA of quiescent current, extending battery life, and they feature an input voltage range of 2.5-42 V that encompasses both cold cranking and load dump conditions. Additionally, Cypress offers the Easy DesignSim™ verification tool and evaluation kits to accelerate automotive electronics design.
The new S6BP20x and S6BP50x automotive PMIC series are currently sampling, with production expected in the first half of 2016. The S6BP20x PMICs are available in a 16-pin HTSSOP package. The series includes:
- S6BP201A with an output current of 1.0 A and a 5.0 to 5.2 V output voltage range; ideal for body control modules
- S6BP202A with an output current of 2.4 A and a 5.0 to 5.2 V output voltage range; ideal for instrument clusters and ADAS
- S6BP203A with an output current of 2.4 A and a 3.3 V output voltage; ideal for high-end ADAS.
The S6BP50x PMICs are available in a 32-pin side-wettable QFN package. The series includes:
- S6BP501A with a maximum output current of 1.4 A at 1.0 to 1.3 V output voltage, 1.6 A at 3.2 to 3.4 V output voltage and 1.3 A at 5.0 to 5.2 V output voltage; optimized for low-end hybrid instrument cluster systems with Cypress's Traveo™ family of 32-bit ARM® Cortex®-R5 core based automotive microcontrollers (MCUs)
- S6BP502A with a maximum output current of 2.0 A at 1.0 to 1.3 V output voltage, 1.9 A at 3.2 to 3.4 V output voltage and 1.3 A at 5.0 to 5.2 V output voltage; optimized for mid-range hybrid instrument cluster systems with the Traveo automotive MCU family.
Follow Cypress Online
- Read our Core & Code technical magazine and blog.
- Join the Cypress Developer Community.
- Follow @CypressSemi on Twitter.
- Visit us on Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Watch Cypress videos on our Video Library or YouTube.
About Cypress Cypress (NASDAQ: CY) delivers high-performance, high-quality solutions at the heart of today's most advanced embedded systems, from automotive, industrial and networking platforms to highly interactive consumer and mobile devices. With a broad, differentiated product portfolio that includes NOR flash memories, F-RAM™ and SRAM, Traveo microcontrollers, the industry's only PSoC® programmable system-on-chip solutions, analog and PMIC Power Management ICs, CapSense® capacitive touch-sensing controllers, and Wireless BLE Bluetooth® Low-Energy and USB connectivity solutions, Cypress is committed to providing its customers worldwide with consistent innovation, best-in-class support and exceptional system value. To learn more, go to www.cypress.com.
Cypress, the Cypress logo, PSoC and CapSense are registered trademarks and Traveo, Easy DesignSIM and F-RAM are trademarks of Cypress Semiconductor Corp. All other trademarks are property of their owners.
SOURCE Cypress Semiconductor Corp.