COLUMBUS, Ohio, April 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Saperstein Associates, an Ohio-based research firm, released a new white paper summarizing research on the benefits of social-emotional learning (SEL) presented during the 2013 Beyond Bullying Summit at Teachers College, Columbia University. The white paper—Beyond Bullying: Proactive Approaches for Successful Students and Safe Schools—also features top district leaders' real-world examples of how incorporating SEL skills, such as empathy and conflict resolution, into the curriculum positively impacts students and schools.
"This white paper is a fantastic resource for anyone interested in learning how SEL really makes a difference in the lives of our students," said Dr. Sonya Whitaker, superintendent for Fairmont School District 89, in Lockport, Illinois, and moderator at the Beyond Bullying Summit. "It is imperative that we teach SEL skills, which help students develop a sense of security and well-being. This is no less important than preparing them for academic success."
The new white paper includes key research findings and anecdotal evidence about the impact of SEL from presenters at the Beyond Bullying Summit, which was hosted by Zaner-Bloser and the Institute for Urban and Minority Education:
- Dr. Marvin Berkowitz, University of Missouri-St. Louis
- Dr. Sheldon Berman, Eugene School District 4J
- Dr. Marc Brackett, Yale University
- Ruth Cross, Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL)
- Dr. Pamela Randall, CASEL
- Dr. Ed Dunkelblau, Institute for Emotionally Intelligent Learning
- Dr. Allison Dymnicki, American Institutes for Research
- Dr. Dorothy Espelage, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Eric Gordon, Cleveland Metropolitan School District
- Dr. Ernest Morrell, Teachers College, Columbia University
- Dr. Jodene Morrell, Teachers College, Columbia University
- Dr. Robert Selman, Harvard University
Beyond Bullying: Proactive Approaches for Successful Students and Safe Schools highlights specific information about how SEL programs
- reduce incidents of bullying.
- impact school climate.
- help meet the goals of the Common Core State Standards.
- improve academic performance.
- increase attendance rates.
- decrease suspension rates.
Programs such as Zaner-Bloser's Voices Literature & Writing enable students to internalize SEL-related lessons—while improving academically. Learn more about Voices Literature & Writing at www.zaner-bloser.com.
Zaner-Bloser, a wholly owned subsidiary of Highlights for Children with more than 120 years of experience in education, is one of the premier publishers of research-based reading, writing, spelling, vocabulary, and handwriting programs. The Zaner-Bloser mission is to create dynamic, appealing, and effective educational programs and services. Zaner-Bloser focuses on distinctive programs that inspire all students to become engaged, literate participants in the global society.
About Saperstein Associates
Saperstein Associates is a research firm based in Columbus, Ohio. Using time-honored and innovative research methodologies, its veteran staff transforms data into information, and information into intelligence. Saperstein Associates provides clients with a valuable tool for making data-driven decisions. To learn more, visit sapersteinassociates.com.