NEW YORK, March 24, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- NewWorld Capital Group, a leading private equity firm in the environmental opportunities sector, today announced the formation of a Strategic Advisory Council of experts on the environmental industry.
The purpose of the NewWorld Strategic Advisory Council is to provide advice and counsel to the NewWorld team in its investing and business-building activities. The intent is to assemble a group of senior advisors who bring understanding and insight on the following topics:
- Economic macro-forces -- e.g., shifting product buying dynamics by businesses, opportunities in energy efficiency (without additional regulatory incentives), cost-reduction plays in energy provision, competitive entrance into the U.S. market by Asian companies, growth of green consumer markets.
- Regulatory realities and outlook at the federal, state and local levels -- e.g., appliance incentives (both business and consumer), local and state building codes, state-level utility de-coupling to promote energy efficiency, energy labeling and certification, EPA performance and reporting standards, possible future producer-responsibility laws.
- Business segment knowledge -- e.g., smart grid development, industrial wastewater reclamation and reuse, capturing value from waste, growth and development of environmental services. Included are market growth dynamics, product substitution dynamics, buyer incentives and behavior, related issues that influence growth, operating margins, capital requirements, and competitiveness.
- Experience in surmounting business scaling challenges -- e.g., building sales and marketing capability, creating and managing key account programs, managing distribution channels, rapidly expanding production and distribution capacity, entering overseas markets.
- Threats from off-shore technology, product development, and business strategies -- e.g., business incursions from Southeast Asia (China, Taiwan, South Korea) and other international competitors.
Duties of Advisory Council members include: (i) advising NewWorld on strategy and related issues of importance; (ii) providing specific assistance on target company diligence; (iii) advising on business-building challenges for portfolio companies; (iv) helping keep NewWorld up to date on leading edge developments and issues; and (v) expanding NewWorld's franchise in the market.
To date, NewWorld has appointed the following individuals as members of its Strategic Advisory Council:
- Bradley (Brad) I. Abelow, President and Chief Operating Officer, MF Global Inc.; former Chief of Staff to Governor Jon Corzine; former General Partner of Goldman Sachs; created the Goldman Center for Environmental Markets.
- Rohit (Rit) T. Aggarwala Former Director of Long-Term Planning and Sustainability for the City of New York; staff to the C-40; directs Bloomberg Foundation's environmental investments; past member of NY MTA Blue Ribbon Panel on Sustainability.
- Nora Mead Brownell Former Commissioner of Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC); co-founder of ESPY Energy Consulting; member of Board of Directors of Comverge.
- Peter C. Goldmark, Jr. Former Director of the Climate and Air Program for the Environmental Defense Fund; past Executive Director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey; past Director of the Budget for the State of New York.
- Gayle P.W. Jackson President & CEO of Energy Global; past senior positions at Peabody Energy, FE Clean Energy; Director of Ameren Corporation and Atlas Pipeline Partners; past Deputy Chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Richard L. Kauffman Former CEO of Good Energies; expert on private investing in energy efficiency and renewable energy; Chairman of Levi Strauss & Co.; former General Partner at Goldman Sachs.
- Michael A. Levi Senior Fellow for energy and the environment at the Council on Foreign Relations; directs research and policy analysis on energy and climate change.
- Lawrence H. Linden Founder and Trustee of the Linden Trust for Conservation; past chair of Resources for the Future; former General Partner at Goldman Sachs.
- Nino Tronchetti Provera CEO of Ambienta Sgr, a leading European-based private equity firm following a parallel strategy to NewWorld's; Chairman of Ambienta's investment committee.
About NewWorld Capital Group
NewWorld Capital Group is a leading private equity firm focused on investing in the environmental opportunities sector, principally in the United States and Canada and selectively in Europe. NewWorld makes growth equity and control investments in rapidly growing mid-sized and smaller companies in energy efficiency, clean energy, water reclamation and reuse, waste-to-value, pollution abatement, sustainable/biodegradable materials, and related environmental services. The Firm does not accept technology risk and invests only when a productive partnership can be formed with company management. NewWorld was founded by a group of experienced investors and business builders from General Electric, Goldman Sachs, McKinsey, and several private equity firms.
SOURCE NewWorld Capital Group, LLC