BOULDER, Colo., Oct. 14, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- New Hope Natural Media and Sterling-Rice Group today unveiled NEXT: The Natural Products Industry Forecast 2016, the industry's leading source of forward-looking insights into what's next in natural. Drawing from proprietary data sets, expert interviews, in-market case studies and the Natural Products Expos, the NEXT Forecast provides readers with the macros forces shaping the industry, trends driving innovation, where the trends are manifesting, high-growth segment forecasts, trendsetting products, top marketing claims and certifications, in addition to emerging category opportunities.
The NEXT Forecast 2016 projects strong growth for natural products. According to NEXT Forecast estimates, U.S. consumer sales of natural, organic and healthy products are forecasted to expand 64% from $153B in 2013 to $252B by 2019. This is a compound average growth rate (CAGR) of 8.6%, which is more than four times the projected growth rate of mainstream consumer packaged goods.
Woven throughout the NEXT Forecast is the influential theme of "trust through transparency," which is driving radical changes across the natural products ecosystem. Consumers don't trust brands to stand for quality like they used to and are less likely to look to traditional media or experts as a definitive source of information. Suppliers, product developers, retailers and brands are building transparency into their product offerings and marketing communications to rebuild or deepen trust with consumers.
"As consumers increasingly become concerned about what is in the food and products they use, transparency initiatives are becoming a critical component for brands and retailers," said Carlotta Mast, Executive Director of Content and Insights and Chief Author of the NEXT Forecast 2016. "This report serves as the definitive guide to where the natural, organic and healthy products market is now and where it is headed. It's a valuable resource for manufacturers, suppliers, retailers and investors that want to tap into the growth of this industry."
A convergence of forces is helping to propel natural products industry growth. The top macro forces shaping the future of natural food and beverage; dietary supplements and ingredients; and natural beauty, personal care, household and pet products, as identified in the NEXT Forecast 2016 include:
- The Call for Accessibility: Natural products should be available everywhere, at all price points and levels of affordability.
- Innovation at the Edges: Innovation in today's food world is coming from the small vs. the big players, and this is creating an increase in "fragmented successes" across the industry.
- Ancient Wisdom: The market potential for nutrient-dense, Grandma-approved food ingredients is soaring and being driven by powerful changes in consumer demands.
- Rehabilitation of Science: Old ingredients meet new methods of production to create sustainable solutions.
- Human Branding: With authenticity and purpose it's easy to talk about who you are and why you do what you do.
- Personalization: Medicine and engineered nutrition deliver systems-based pathways to health and wellness.
- Transparency Bares its Teeth: Consumer activists are in a constant search for food villains.
- Unexpected Motivations: The natural products industry broadens to attract entirely new categories of consumers.
- Why Exit?: CPGs are developing innovative ideas to support entrepreneurs rather than simply positioning them for an imminent sale.
Incorporated through the NEXT Forecast 2016 are the NEXTY winners, the brands and products New Hope Natural Media's editors and brand makers at The Sterling-Rice Group believe best represent the future of the natural products industry.
"We saw so many innovative brands and products at Natural Products Expo West that we found it challenging to narrow down our list of NEXTY nominees. We salute the NEXTY award winners on their ingenuity, creativity and commitment to the healthy products marketplace," said John Grubb, Managing Partner, Sterling-Rice Group.
NEXTY Editors' Choice winners:
- Natural Organic and Functional Foods and Beverages Winner: Fishpeople
- Natural Organic and Functional Foods and Beverages Winner: Community Seafood
- Natural Organic and Functional Foods and Beverages Winner: Safe Catch
- Supplements and Ingredients Winner: Source Naturals
- Beauty and Natural Living Winner: Scotch Naturals
- Beauty and Natural Living Winner: Further Products
NEXTY Popular Vote winners:
- Natural Organic and Functional Foods and Beverages Winner: Kaslo Sourdough
- Natural Organic and Functional Foods and Beverages Runner up: Back to the Roots
- Supplements and Ingredients Winner: NeoCell
- Supplements and Ingredients Runner up: Trace Minerals Research
- Beauty and Natural Living Winner: EarthKind
- Beauty and Natural Living Runner up: lifestinks
The NEXT Forecast is available now for $1,995 at http://www.nextforecast.com.
About New Hope Natural Media
New Hope Natural Media is the leading media resource and information provider for the natural, organic and healthy products industry, with print, in-person/event, and e-business products and services.
About Sterling-Rice Group
Headquartered in Boulder, CO., Sterling-Rice Group (SRG) is a nationally recognized brand-building firm specializing in consumer insights, business strategy, innovation, advertising and design. SRG promotes the growth of living well brands, and has been creating positive impact for 32 years. SRG is a recent AdAge Small Agency of the Year, and has been named by Outside Magazine as one of the Best Places to Work for the last three years in a row. Visit srg.com for more information.
New Hope Natural Media
303 998 9232
393 907 4411
SOURCE New Hope Natural Media