JUNO BEACH, Fla., Nov. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE) is driving continuous improvement across its businesses by delivering award-winning customer service, achieving operational excellence, respecting the environment, investing in its workforce, and making a difference in its communities, according to the company's 2012 Corporate Responsibility Report, which it released today.
"At NextEra Energy, our corporate values are simple: we are committed to excellence, we do the right thing, and we treat people with respect," said Jim Robo, NextEra Energy president and CEO. "We believe these values also represent the essence of corporate responsibility, and by living these values every day we continue to generate important benefits for our customers, employees, investors, communities and other stakeholders."
Highlights from the report include:
- Florida Power & Light Company (FPL), NextEra Energy's rate-regulated electric utility subsidiary, offers its typical residential customers a bill that is the lowest in Florida and 24 percent below the national average, along with the best reliability in the state among investor-owned utilities.
- Florida's economy also benefits from FPL's approximately $3 billion per year in capital investments and the company's new economic development program that provides discounted electric service for new and expanding businesses.
- NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, the company's competitive generation subsidiary, continues to invest in growing its position as the country's largest owner of renewable energy from the wind and the sun. Its wind turbines alone are capable of producing enough clean, emissions-free energy to power more than 2 million homes.
- Benefitting from its ongoing investments in clean and renewable generation, NextEra Energy's 2011 emission rates of sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides and carbon dioxides were lower than the U.S. electric sector averages by 90 percent, 80 percent and 51 percent, respectively.
- In 2011, NextEra Energy paid more than $400 million in property taxes for the benefit of communities, awarded $230 million in contracts to small, minority- and women-owned businesses, and raised a company record of more than $3 million for its annual United Way campaign.
- The company was the only one in its industry sector and one of just 13 U.S. employers outside the health care industry to receive the 2012 Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles Award (Platinum category) for "healthy weight, healthy lifestyle programs with measurable success and documented outcomes."
New this year concurrent with the release of the company's 2012 report is an expanded web page dedicated to corporate responsibility. At www.NextEraEnergy.com/CorporateResponsibility, visitors can download the full report, view additional content on many subjects contained in the report, and review the company's Global Reporting Index (GRI) disclosures. The GRI is an internationally accepted set of sustainability reporting guidelines.
NextEra Energy, Inc.
NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE) is a leading clean energy company with revenues of more than $15.3 billion, more than 41,000 megawatts of generating capacity, and approximately 15,000 employees in 24 states and Canada as of year-end 2011. Headquartered in Juno Beach, Fla., NextEra Energy's principal subsidiaries are Florida Power & Light Company, which serves approximately 4.6 million customer accounts in Florida and is one of the largest rate-regulated electric utilities in the country, and NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, which together with its affiliated entities is the largest generator in the United States of renewable energy from the wind and sun. Through its subsidiaries, NextEra Energy generates clean, emissions-free electricity from eight commercial nuclear power units in Florida, New Hampshire, Iowa and Wisconsin. For more information about NextEra Energy companies, visit these websites: www.NextEraEnergy.com, www.FPL.com, www.NextEraEnergyResources.com.
SOURCE NextEra Energy, Inc.