MERRILLVILLE, Ind., May 27, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- NiSource (NYSE: NI) issued two signature reports today – its 2014 Sustainability Report and its 2014 Inclusion and Diversity (I&D) Report.
"As our employees demonstrate every day, we are serious about establishing a legacy of sustained economic growth, inclusion and diversity, social responsibility and environmental stewardship," NiSource President and CEO Robert C. Skaggs, Jr. said. "Taken together, it's about how we think, how we act, and how we speak with one another - how we treat our customers, coworkers and others with whom we do business."
The sixth NiSource Sustainability Report highlights the company's progress in building an enduring and sustainable company across five key dimensions: Customers, Communities, Employees, the Environment and Shareholders. NiSource's third I&D report showcases examples of best practice I&D work across NiSource that relate to the four key dimensions of I&D: Employees, Customers, Communities and Suppliers.
Highlights of the 2014 Reports include:
- Reliability and access through modern infrastructure: In 2014, NiSource invested more than $2.2 billion in modern pipes, wires and systems across our operations to continue to provide safe and reliable service for our customers.
- Giving back: In 2014, NiSource donated approximately $6.2 million to organizations that are working to make a difference in communities across its service territories.
- Culture of safety and engagement: In 2014, NiSource lowered its Preventable Vehicle Accident rate from 2.16 to 1.91 and maintained high levels of employee engagement.
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions: Continued modernization upgrades are resulting in a reduction of greenhouse gas fugitive emissions by as much as 99 percent.
- Supplier diversity record: NiSource spent approximately $150 million with diverse suppliers in 2014, exceeding its prior record of $104 million.
- Delivering shareholder value: Over a five-year period ending September 30, 2014, NiSource delivered 262 percent total shareholder return.
- Sustainability recognition: NiSource was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index - North America in recognition of the company's sustainable business practices and performance.
NiSource's Sustainability Report was produced using the Global Reporting Initiative G3.1 Reporting Guidelines, a leading industry framework for measuring corporate sustainability initiatives and progress. NiSource self declares — supported with third-party assurance from CH2M HILL— that this report meets the requirements of GRI Application Level B+.
About NiSource NiSource Inc. (NYSE: NI), based in Merrillville, Ind., is a Fortune 500 company engaged in natural gas transmission, storage and distribution, as well as electric generation, transmission and distribution. NiSource operating companies deliver energy to 3.8 million customers located within the high-demand energy corridor stretching from the Gulf Coast through the Midwest to New England. Information about NiSource and its subsidiaries is available via the Internet at www.nisource.com. NI-F
SOURCE NiSource Inc.