KAPOLEI, Hawaii and TAMPA, Fla., Dec. 21, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Throughout Hawaii, a group of dedicated, caring individuals are working to connect the state's mentally ill population with the care and services they need to manage chronic behavioral and medical conditions. An army of Community Care Services (CCS) case managers meet those most in need, including Hawaii's 8,000 nightly homeless, wherever possible such as in shelters, on beaches and in parks.
Through the state's Department of Human Services' Quest Integration program, CCS assigns case managers to facilitate the delivery of behavioral and medical health services to Medicaid-eligible adults who have serious mental illness. 'Ohana Health Plan has been the sole provider of CCS services since 2013.
Recently 'Ohana Health Plan, a WellCare Health Plans, Inc. (NYSE: WCG) company, honored 28 case managers who regularly demonstrate outstanding care for members. State Sen. Josh Green, chair of the Senate Human Services Committee, was present to recognize their achievements.
CCS case managers meet face-to-face with members to assess their health, plan their care program, and monitor their progress towards reaching their behavioral health goals. In addition, case managers help members get the social services they need to become and stay healthy. This includes finding housing, employment, transportation and helping them apply for benefits like food stamps.
The honorees, who were nominated by their case management agencies, are:
- Joy Gorman, Aloha House, Maui
- Monica Velasco, Breaking Boundaries, Oahu
- Patricia Kaleiwahea, Care Hawaii, Hilo
- Judith "Malia" Guerra, Care Hawaii, Kauai
- Keana Rees, Care Hawaii, Kona
- Mary Jane Lonzame, Care Hawaii, Oahu
- Dario Garcia, Community Empowerment Resources, Oahu
- Symphonie Cubit, Hale Na'au Pono, Oahu
- Renee Wetzel, Helping Hands Hawaii, Hilo
- Chelsea Phillips, Helping Hands Hawaii, Oahu
- Angelique Matutino, Hina Mauka, Oahu
- Janice Workman, Hope, Inc., Hilo
- Alicia Fu, Hope, Inc., Oahu
- Donna Keys, Institute for Human Services, Oahu
- Alvin Stephenson, Kalihi Palma Health Center, Oahu
- Etsuko Yamaguchi, Kokua Kalihi Valley, Oahu
- Victoria Clark, Mental Health Kokua, Hilo
- Elizabeth Gonzales, Mental Health Kokua, Kauai
- Jessica Horton, Mental Health Kokua, Kona
- Edith Blas, Mental Health Kokua, Maui
- Jacqueline Warlick, Mental Health Kokua, Oahu
- Thomas Robertson, North Shore Mental Health, Oahu
- Mein Hoa, Susannah Wesley, Oahu
- Jeanne-Marie Long, Windward TSS, Oahu
- Derrick Sugi, West Hawaii CMHC, Hawaii
- Brandy Akimo, West Honolulu TSS, Oahu
- Kristina Kanani Carmichael, East Hawaii CMHC, Hawaii
- Malyntha Halealpiy, Maui CHMC, Maui
"'Ohana is dedicated to providing our members with access to the care and services they need to reach their optimal health. These outstanding individuals are met with challenges every day and refuse to back away," said Dr. Edward Fess, senior medical director at 'Ohana Health Plan. "They have moved homeless people into housing, accompanied members to hospitals to ensure the appropriate care is received, and made sure people had transportation to get to their doctor. I am inspired by their commitment to working with an entire team of health and social services professionals to help improve lives."
As of Sept. 30, 2016, 'Ohana Health Plan has nearly 240 employees in Hawaii and serves approximately 57,000 members through its offices in Kapolei, Honolulu, Hilo and Kahului.
About 'Ohana Health Plan
'Ohana Health Plan is offered by WellCare Health Plans, Inc. WellCare provides managed care services targeted to government-sponsored health care programs, focusing on Medicaid and Medicare. WellCare offers a variety of health plans for families, children, and the aged, blind and disabled, as well as prescription drug plans. The company serves approximately 3.8 million members nationwide as of Sept. 30, 2016. 'Ohana has been able to take WellCare's national experience and develop an 'Ohana care model that addresses local members' health care and health coordination needs. As of Sept. 30, 2016, 'Ohana serves approximately 49,000 Medicaid members, 8,000 Medicare Advantage members, and 400 Medicare Prescription Drug Plan members in Hawaii. For more information about 'Ohana, please visit the company's website at www.ohanahealthplan.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ohana-health-plan-honors-case-managers-for-dedication-to-exceptional-care-and-service-300382355.html
SOURCE WellCare Health Plans, Inc.