NEW YORK, March 31, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- One Drop today announced findings from a retrospective study demonstrating that One Drop | Mobile app users report a substantial improvement in glycemic control, reducing A1c by 1.0 percentage point after only 2 to 12 months of using One Drop | Mobile. Data was presented yesterday at the 38th Annual Meeting & Scientific Sessions of the Society of Behavioral Medicine in San Diego.
One Drop analyzed data from One Drop | Mobile app users who self-identified as having either type 1 or type 2 diabetes and had entered two hemoglobin A1c (A1c) values at least 60 days, but no more than one year, apart. The initial analysis in July 2016 showed a 0.7 percentage point reduction (7.8% to 7.1%) in A1c among the app users. In March 2017, One Drop repeated the analysis on a much larger sample, finding a 1.0 percentage point reduction (8.2% to 7.2%) in A1c among users of the app.
The more people tracked blood glucose and food in the One Drop | Mobile app, the more their A1c improved. The .30 percentage difference between results from July and March is likely due to a much larger number of users and continued improvements to the One Drop | Mobile app.
"People want to know if health apps work. Doctors, payers, and other healthcare entities ask this all the time," said Dr. Chandra Y. Osborn, Vice President of Health and Bioinformatics at One Drop. "One Drop is continuously evaluating its impact and we're sharing that value. These results suggest a clinically significant improvement in glycemic control comparable to first line therapies for diabetes. And this is just the tip of the iceberg; there's much more rigorous science coming down the pike."
One Drop also reported initial findings from a retrospective clinical study of its on-demand, in-app coaching service, One Drop | Experts. According to those data, people with diabetes using both One Drop | Mobile and One Drop | Experts for just four consecutive weeks:
- reduced average blood glucose by 27 mg/dL;
- reduced average blood glucose from 185 mg/dL (A1c 8.1%) to 158 (A1c 7.1%);
- reduced average percentage of high blood glucose readings from 19% to 4%;
- nearly doubled the percentage of in-range blood glucose readings; and
- consistently tracked food and blood glucose over time.
To date, One Drop | Mobile users have logged into the app over 3,500,000 times and contributed over 200,000,000 primary health data points. One Drop continues to analyze this unprecedented amount of data, paving the way for actionable insights that drive behavior change, immediate cost-savings, and meaningful improvements in health outcomes for both healthcare consumers and providers. In June, One Drop will present the results of its recently-completed clinical study evaluating the effectiveness of One Drop | Mobile and One Drop | Experts at the American Diabetes Association's 77th Scientific Sessions.
"The improvement in A1c we've seen among our users is often achieved with drugs, but rarely, if ever, seen with self-care interventions," said Jeff Dachis, Founder and CEO of One Drop. "With One Drop, we are delivering a well-designed, evidence-based diabetes solution that provides cost-effective, comprehensive care to anyone, anywhere in the United States and, soon, anywhere in the world. As we expand, we will maintain our focus, empowering everyone with diabetes today to make better choices and lead fuller lives."
About One Drop
One Drop (Informed Data Systems Inc.) is a digital health company harnessing the power of mobile computing and data science to transform the lives of everyone with diabetes.
One Drop's offerings include the first-ever monthly subscription service to provide affordable, accessible diabetes care — unlimited blood glucose testing supplies and 24/7 live in-app support from diabetes experts. For less than the cost of a monthly co-pay, One Drop subscribers receive:
- One Drop | Chrome with Unlimited Testing Supplies: One Drop | Chrome not only meets the highest standards of clinical accuracy, but it also wirelessly transmits blood glucose data directly to the cloud via the One Drop | Mobile app for iOS and Android. Unlimited blood glucose test strips are delivered on-demand directly to the doors of One Drop subscribers — no prescriptions, no insurance, no appointments, and no hassles.
- One Drop | Experts for Anytime Care: One Drop | Experts moves diabetes education out of the clinic and into the lives of people with diabetes. Each One Drop | Premium subscriber has his/her own "Expert" (Certified Diabetes Educator) available 24/7 for guidance, support, and anytime care. Experts deliver personalized digital therapeutics programs to help people with diabetes define and achieve their health management goals. Subscribers can communicate with their Experts anytime via in-app chat; all data recorded in the app is available to Experts in real-time, allowing them to provide relevant behavioral guidance in the moments when subscribers need it most. No appointments necessary.
- One Drop | Mobile: One Drop | Mobile is an award-winning, cloud-based diabetes management solution delivered entirely via mobile app on iOS and Android. One Drop | Mobile provides real-time and historical blood glucose data and analytics to subscribers and their healthcare providers, allowing both to see relationships between specific health behaviors and health outcomes. One Drop | Mobile also includes a fully-featured Apple WatchOS app for logging and analyzing diabetes data on the go. One Drop | Mobile is the only diabetes management platform that offers comprehensive self-care, peer-support, and expert support all in one place.
One Drop also offers an enterprise solution, One Drop | Professional, for insurers, health care provider networks, and self-insured employers to dramatically lower the cost of caring for people with diabetes.
The One Drop | Mobile solution is available for free worldwide. One Drop | Chrome is sold exclusively by One Drop (via iOS, Android, and at http://onedrop.today/) and Apple (via http://store.apple.com). One Drop's consumer subscription service is available for purchase in-app (iOS and Android) and at http://onedrop.today/. For more information, contact [email protected].
SOURCE One Drop