AUSTIN, Texas, Dec. 6, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- KubeCon + CloudNativeCon — Quantum Corp. (NYSE :QTM ) today announced that Rook, the open source project it initiated just over a year ago, has gained significant support in the developer community and continues to deliver against significant key enterprise feature requirements as the project progresses. Rook provides the benefits of cloud infrastructures to not only public cloud but also on-premise environments, including the ability to flexibly allocate object, block and — in the future — file storage to different application and business units. The project has been developed to enable organizations to modernize their data centers with dynamic application orchestration for distributed storage systems running in on-premise, cloud-native environments.
Self-Managing, Self-Scaling and Self-Healing
Rook turns distributed storage software into self-managing, self-scaling and self-healing storage services. It does so by automating the tasks of a storage administrator, including deployment, bootstrapping, configuration, provisioning, scaling, upgrading, migration, disaster recovery, monitoring and resource management. In addition, it capitalizes on the power of the underlying cloud-native container management, scheduling and orchestration platform to perform its duties.
Deep Integration Into Cloud-Native Environments
Designed for Kubernetes and other evolving cloud-native environments, Rook leverages extension points and provides a seamless experience for scheduling, lifecycle management, resource management, security, monitoring and user experience. Benefits include:
- Software-defined storage running on commodity hardware;
- File, block and object storage presentations;
- Hyper-scale or hyper-converged storage options;
- Elastic storage that can easily scale up or down;
- Zero-touch management; and
- Integrated data protection with snapshot, cloning and versioning.
Community support has accelerated rapidly as companies and users have deployed Rook in testing and staging environments (on-premise and public cloud):
- Rook is in the top 0.2 percent of the most popular projects on GitHub, with more than 1,750 stars.
- It has over 40 contributors.
- It has more than 600,000 container downloads.
Reviews have been quite positive as the following testimonials demonstrate:
- "We're excited for a true cloud-native storage platform. Having experienced the complexity of running Ceph on Kubernetes, Rook provides the stability and power of an established software-defined storage solution with the ease of use of native Kubernetes integration. With the latest release of Rook, we're looking to implement it as a core part of our storage platform." – Hunter Nield, CTO, Acaleph
- "On my farm, it's important to make efficient use of resources I already have. With Rook's Kubernetes-native design, I'm able to use commodity hardware without sacrificing redundancy for my storage or availability of my services. That's why Rook fits perfectly in my farm's metrics and automation systems, and I follow its development closely." – Bryan Zubrod, founder, Zubrod Farms
- "I'm really excited to see Rook evolve to a fully production-grade system. I've used and contributed to it from an early stage and can't wait to use it in even more production systems." – Lucas Käldström, founder, luxas labs
A beta version of Rook (release 0.7) will be available this month, followed by a production-ready version in early 2018. Quantum plans to deploy Rook within commercial enterprise storage appliances by April 2018.
Quantum is a leading expert in scale-out tiered storage, archive and data protection, providing solutions for capturing, sharing, managing and preserving digital assets over the entire data lifecycle. From small businesses to major enterprises, more than 100,000 customers have trusted Quantum to address their most demanding data workflow challenges. Quantum's end-to-end, tiered storage foundation enables customers to maximize the value of their data by making it accessible whenever and wherever needed, retaining it indefinitely and reducing total cost and complexity. See how at www.quantum.com/customerstories.
Quantum, the Quantum logo and Rook are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Quantum Corporation and its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
"Safe Harbor" Statement: This press release contains "forward-looking" statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Quantum advises caution in reliance on forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements include, without limitation, 1) benefits and value to customers from Rook, 2) customer demand for and Quantum's future revenue from Rook, 3) the availability of a beta version and a production-ready version of Rook and 4) Quantum's plans to deploy Rook within commercial enterprise storage appliances by April 2018. All forward-looking statements are based on information available to Quantum on the date hereof. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause Quantum's actual results to differ materially from those implied by the forward-looking statement, including unexpected changes in the Company's business. More detailed information about these risk factors, and additional risk factors, are set forth in Quantum's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, those risks and uncertainties listed in the section entitled "Risk Factors," in Quantum's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on November 9, 2017, especially those risks listed in this section under the heading "Our results of operations depend on a limited number of products and on new product introductions, which may not be successful, in which case our business, financial condition and results of operations may be materially and adversely affected." Quantum expressly disclaims any obligation to update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by applicable law.
Public Relations Contact:
SOURCE Quantum Corp.