NEW YORK, May 27, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- OpportunityAnalyzer: Cushing's Syndrome - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2018
GlobalData estimates that the 2013 sales for the Cushing's syndrome (CS) therapeutic market was approximately $179m across the 6MM covered in this report. Pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies that are investing their attention, time, and financial resources in the CS field, have adopted a myriad of research and development (R&D) strategies. One notable example is the fact that drug developers are focused on developing superior, next-generation inhibitors of cortisol synthesis in the adrenal glands. Steroidogenesis inhibitors were responsible for approximately 28% of total drug sales in the 6MM in 2013, equating to around $50m. As a consequence of this trend, GlobalData expects overall revenues generated by this drug class to increase by approximately 390% to reach around $247m, encompassing 49% of total drug sales in the 6MM in 2018. The expansion in this segment of the CS market is fuelled by the introduction of premium-priced pharmacological agents such as Novartis' LCI699 and Cortendo AB's NormoCort (COR-003) in the US, as well as the arrival of HRA Pharma's Ketoconazole HRA (ketoconazole) to the European CS stage. One of the greatest unmet needs in this indication is a lack of effective drugs directed against the underlying cause of Cushing's disease (the pituitary tumor). Despite this demand, pharmaceutical companies are continuing to adopt a strategy that simply targets the adrenal glands. As a result, there is a vast amount of room for new or existing players to penetrate the market and capture considerable patient share.
Key Questions Answered
- Although the current standard of care (ketoconazole) is cheap and reasonably effective in most CS patients, it possesses worrying safety profiles, inconvenient dosing schedules, is difficult to obtain and can display waning efficacy over time. Newer medical treatments, for example, Novartis' Signifor (pasireotide) and Corcept Therapeutics' Korlym (mifepristone) address only some of these issues; yet, present their own limitations. The CS market is still marked by the existence of a multitude of unmet needs. What are the main unmet needs in this market? Will the drugs under development fulfil the unmet needs of the CS market?
- The late-stage CS pipeline is sparsely populated; however, those drugs in development will be a strong driver of CS market growth. Which of these drugs will attain high sales revenues during 2013-2018? Which of these drugs will have the highest peak sales at the highest CAGR, and why?
- One of the main drivers influencing growth in the Cushing's syndrome market will be the introduction of second-generation steroidogenesis inhibitors, LCI699 and NormoCort (COR-003), in the US, which will rival existing standard of care medical treatments.
- Another strong driver will be the arrival of Corcept Therapeutics' Korlym (mifepristone) and HRA Pharma's Ketoconazole HRA (ketoconazole) to the European CS market. Both drugs will stimulate significant growth here.
- The launch of Novartis' Signifor LAR (pasireotide) in the 6MM will equip physicians with a less frequently administered formulation of Signifor.
- Reasons for inadequate CS treatment include poor physician awareness of the condition, delayed diagnosis, a lack of efficacious drugs for individuals suffering from severe hypersecretion, and a shortage of effective medicines targeting the source of Cushing's disease.
- Overview of Cushing's syndrome, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Annualized Cushing's syndrome therapeutics market revenues, annual cost of therapies and treatment usage pattern data from 2013 and forecast for five years to 2018.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping and implications for the Cushing's syndrome therapeutics market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global Cushing's syndrome therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline. Additionally a list of acquisition targets included in the pipeline product company list.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the Cushing's syndrome therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the Cushing's syndrome therapeutics market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the 6MM Cushing's syndrome therapeutics market from 2013-2018.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
Read the full report: http://www.reportlinker.com/p02885180-summary/view-report.html
ReportLinker is an award-winning market research solution that finds, filters and organizes the latest industry data so you get all the market research you need - instantly, in one place.
Contact Clare: firstname.lastname@example.org
Intl: +1 339-368-6001