LONDON, Oct. 20, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Summary
Genital herpes (GH) is a life-long viral infection of the genitalia and urogenital tract. It is one of the most common sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and is a leading cause of genital ulcers around the world. Patients with GH can suffer from recurring episodes of symptom outbreaks, which usually involve painful ulcerations. The prevalence of GH in the seven major pharmaceutical markets (7MM) covered in this report (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, and Japan) has been increasing, and GH is beginning to be viewed as a significant global public health problem, especially because the infection can assist the transmission of human immunodeficiency virus 1 (HIV-1).
There is currently no effective preventative vaccine or cure for GH, and the treatment landscape is dominated by generic nucleoside analogues. Despite the effectiveness of these drugs in managing the symptoms in the majority of patients, the lack of treatment alternatives and the shortcomings of the current treatments have stimulated investments in new treatment options for this vast patient population.
For the purposes of this report, GlobalData defines the GH market to include sales of GH-specific medication in patients 18 years and older. GlobalData expects the market to experience moderate growth that is primarily driven by the uptake of novel therapies - led by Agenus's HerpV and Genocea's GEN-003 - in the US and 5EU (France, Germany, Italy, Spain and UK).
Key Questions Answered
- Based on interviews with key opinion leaders (KOLs), GlobalData has identified the major unmet needs in the GH marketplace. Will the leading pipeline agents fulfil these unmet needs during the forecast period (2013-2023)?
- What research and development (R&D) strategies will companies leverage to compete in the future GH marketplace?
- Which patient population(s) are most likely to be targeted for GH -specific product development?
- What clinical and commercial factors are likely to influence GH uptake in the US, 5EU and Japan?
- GlobalData projects the GH market in the US, 5EU and Japan to grow from approximately $490m in 2013 to $668m in 2023, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.1%. This growth across the 7MM will primarily be driven by the launch of pipeline agents, especially the therapeutic vaccines in the US and 5EU, while continued generic erosion across the 7MM, particularly in the 5EU and Japan, is expected to curtail market growth over the forecast period.
- While pipeline agents have the potential to address some of the unmet needs in the GH treatment, available data do not demonstrate that they will be able to fully address these issues, according to interviewed KOLs.
- GlobalData anticipates that opportunities centered on the development of therapeutic and/or prophylactic vaccines, as well as antivirals with novel MOAs, will exist for current and future players in the GH marketplace for the duration of the forecast period.
- Overview of GH, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and current treatment options.
- Topline GH market revenue from 2013-2023. Annual cost of therapy (ACOT) and major pipeline product sales in this forecast period are included.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, R&D strategies, and clinical trial design for the genital herpes market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, synopses of innovative early-stage projects, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline products. An interactive clinical and commercial analyzer tool is available.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global genital herpes market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global genital herpes market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the genital herpes market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
Download the full report: https://www.reportbuyer.com/product/3331241/
Reportbuyer is a leading industry intelligence solution that provides all market research reports from top publishers