PORTLAND, Ore., Nov. 12, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is being released by the Notice Provider in the lawsuit Scharfstein v. BP West Coast Products LLC by order of the Circuit Court for Multnomah County, Oregon.
A verdict has been reached in a class action lawsuit against BP West Coast Products LLC ("BPWCP"). An Oregon jury found that BPWCP charged more for gas than the amount registered at the pump and failed to properly disclose its prices when it charged a 35-cent fee to consumers who used debit cards to pay for gas at Oregon ARCO-branded stations. BPWCP denies the claims, disputes many of the rulings made in this matter, and plans to appeal the jury verdict.
Consumers who purchased gas with a debit card at certain Oregon ARCO or ARCO ampm locations between January 1, 2011 and August 30, 2013 and paid a 35-cent debit card transaction fee are eligible to get one $200 payment, minus attorneys' fees of up to $40 per claim and a pro rata share of costs.
Important Information and Dates:
- Consumers who receive a direct notice letter in the mail do not need to do anything in order to qualify for payment of up to $200.
- Consumers must complete an opt-out form online or by mail or submit a letter to exclude themselves from the case. Opt-out requests must be received by December 31, 2014.
- Consumers who do not receive a direct notice letter in the mail must file a claim online or by mail by December 31, 2014 to get a payment. Consumers who file a claim give up the right to sue BPWCP for the claims in this case.
- Consumers can comment on or object to the handling of their claim, or the claims and notice processes, by January 14, 2015.
- Consumers can comment on or object to the request for attorneys' fees and costs by attorneys representing Class Members by January 23, 2015. The attorneys representing the Class will request up to $40 (or up to 20%) per claim for their work in the case and their out-of-pocket costs.
- The Court will hold a hearing on attorneys' fees on February 11, 2015.
- No payments will be made unless the verdict is upheld after BPWCP appeals.
For more information about the lawsuit, the request for attorney fees and costs, or to file a claim, visit www.DebitCardClassAction.com, call 1-866-329-5931, or write to: ARCO/ampm Debit Card Class Action, PO Box 3266, Portland, OR 97208-3266.
SOURCE David F. Sugerman, Lead Counsel for the Class