PALM SPRINGS, Calif., Sept. 23 /PRNewswire/ -- The 6th Annual Palm Springs Modernism Week is poised to take another quantum leap, setting new records for fun and attendance. As word of the annual festival continues to spread, Modernism Week continues to expand its event schedule.
As one of the city's most successful signature events, Modernism Week is a fun-filled celebration of all things "modern," defined by a cultural movement between 1940 – 1970 that redefined forms of art, architecture, and design.
Modernism Week, held February 17 – 27, 2011 in various venues throughout the city, will offer modernism aficionados a variety of entertaining, educational and exciting events that will include the Modernism Show, films, architecture tours, swank parties, art exhibitions, music, food and fun. Many events will be offered free to the public.
Each year, a dynamic mix of new events are added while continuing the popular audience favorites. Over 50 events are scheduled for the 2011 Modernism Week. Some highlights of new and continuing events for the 2011 Modernism Week:
NEW: A festive kick-off Celebration, Downtown Palm Springs on Thursday, February 17
NEW: A West Coast Premiere Exhibition of amazing vintage Braniff Airlines uniforms by Fashion Designers Pucci and Halston
NEW: A Design Lecture Series featuring Karim Rashid, Mayer Rus and other nationally-acclaimed designers and tastemakers
NEW: An interior design tour of several fabulous homes
NEW: 2 days of lectures and panel discussions on Modernism Preservation in Chicago, Miami, Australia and Cuba by noted speakers
Other events back by popular demand:
- The 11th Annual Palm Springs Modernism Show which is now expanded to 4 Days (February 18-21)
- A home tour of Palm Springs' Most Glamorous Celebrity Homes
- A day-long Palm Springs Art Museum architecture symposium focusing on modernist architect Donald Wexler
- The Architecture & Design Film Series
- The popular double decker bus tours of mid-century architecture will be available every day during Modernism Week
- Charles Phoenix, master of nostalgic "histotainment"
- The Vintage Airstream Travel Trailer exhibit will be expanded and have a festival atmosphere with food and vendor booths
The 2010 Modernism Week set new records for attendance which grew 76% over last year and event organizers anticipate the trend to continue. The City of Palm Springs will be the Presenting Sponsor for the 4th year and Riviera Palm Springs will be host hotel as Hospitality Sponsor. Media sponsors are Palm Springs Life magazine, Modernism magazine, and Luxe magazine.
For updates and announcement on the 2011 Modernism Week visit www.modernismweek.com
SOURCE Palm Springs Modernism Week