BELOIT, Wis., July 27, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- FatWallet.com, where millions of deal hunters go to stack coupons with cash back, announced results of its annual Back to School Survey (*TNS) which reveals 9 in 10 parents plan to spend the same or more than last year shopping for back to school needs. Parents shared views on when students need to have their own smartphones and what brands and back to school items their kids want most. They also rank Back to School sales ahead of Black Friday for finding the best tablet and laptop deals.
Key survey results:
- 89% of parents will spend the same or more on school related products this year (27% said more). 53% will buy Back to School items online and 7% via mobile device.
- With 1 in 5 parents planning to purchase a student laptop or tablet this year, 65% of parents say laptops are best suited to help students learn and almost half agree high school students should have their own laptops. Top items parents plan to purchase include:
- 77% will buy general school supplies and backpacks
- 80% will buy clothes and shoes
- 41% will buy textbooks
- 20% will buy laptops or tablets
- 15% will buy smartphones
- 72% of parents feel it's practical for teens to have a smartphone and 19% think pre-teens need a smartphone, while 7% say kids can wait to buy their own phone (down from 16% in 2104).
- What parents think kids want most for starting school this year?:
- 41% clothes and shoes
- 16% smartphones
- 13% laptops
- 13% school supplies
- 9% tablets
- Top brands kids ask for most for school: Nike (41%), Apple (31%), Under Armour (22%), American Eagle (19%), Levi's (18%), Converse (17%), Forever 21 (16%), Samsung (15%), Adidas (12%) and PacSun (6%).
In a flip from 2014, parents say the best time of year to find deals on student laptops and tablets is during Back to School (37%), followed by Black Friday deals (31%) and Cyber Monday deals (10%). "Compared to what we see during the holiday shopping season, pricing and selection are much better for higher quality laptops, and some tablets, in July and August," said Brent Shelton, FatWallet Deals Expert. "Parents can stretch their budgets a bit further by stacking timely coupon codes with cash back by shopping through FatWallet." A Back-to-School Deals and Cash Back Sale on FatWallet.com offers online shoppers a one-stop destination to compare the best offers from top retailers like HP, Dell, Lenovo, Apple, Walmart, Staples, Amazon and dozens more stores through August 31.
See FULL RESULTS of Back to School Shopping Survey.
About FatWallet: FatWallet.com publishes thousands of current store discounts, coupon codes and free shipping offers that stack with Cash Back rewards from more than 1,600 online retailers. The much celebrated FatWallet forums represent the pulse of an evolving online marketplace where smart consumers gather to share and learn. The new FatWallet Express is the "easy button" for online shoppers to assure cash back on every purchase online, and FatWallet Cash Back Shopping App for the same savings opportunities on their mobile devices.
*The national survey conducted online by TNS on behalf of FatWallet.com in July 2015 was fielded among 1,000 adults ages 18 or older.