Non-partisan Group Aims to Unite Voters and Fix Congress
BOERNE, Texas, March 31 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today a group of concerned voters announced the formation of a non-partisan, grassroots movement seeking to improve the quality of our Congressional representation in Washington.
The Patriot Pledge (www.patriotpledge.org) is an oath demanded by the people of all candidates running for elected office within the Congressional branch of the federal government. It is an oath each candidate signs committing him or her to the following:
- I will not serve within the Congressional branch of the federal government for more than 12 years.
- I will have a complete understanding of every provision of a bill prior to casting a vote in favor of it.
- I will spend the government's money as prudently as I would spend my own money, recognizing that each dollar the government spends was taken from a working citizen or borrowed against our future.
- I will not accept any health or retirement benefits after departing Congress provided to me as a member and will work to pass legislation ensuring Congress is part of the same social security and health benefits system provided to common working class Americans.
- I will record and post transcripts or videos on the internet of all meetings I or my staff hold with any lobbyist (or former congressmen) while serving in the Congress and I vow not to become a lobbyist following my tenure in Congress.
"Like many of you, I've repeatedly asked myself two questions. First, how many nights in a row can I watch the news, shake my head in disgust and then do nothing about it the next morning? And second, how am I going to explain to my children and grandchildren that I didn't have the time, the courage or the leadership to fight to preserve a country full of opportunity for them?" said Rodney Rice, co-founder of PatriotPledge.org, "I believe the Patriot Pledge is the way to accomplish the change we need."
As Americans, whether Democrat, Republican or Independent, we need to come together and take back Congress from the powerful special interests and career politicians who now control it. It is time we unite to replace the "bought and paid for" political pawns seeking a "career in politics" with passionate, principled patriots seeking true "service of their country." The very term "career politician" should be an oxymoron. For the sake of our children and grandchildren, we need to restore our government to what our founding fathers had in mind.
The Patriot Pledge is a set of common sense "rules of the road" for our Congressional servants. It is a litmus test for a candidate's sincerity and motives in holding office. 85% of Americans want Patriot Pledge candidates elected to Congress*. Voters who support the Patriot Pledge should take the Voter Pledge at www.patriotpledge.org/voter-pledge. In taking the Voter Pledge, citizens agree to vote in all federal Congressional races in their district, and when afforded the opportunity, to only vote for Congressional candidates who have taken the Patriot Pledge oath.
Supporters of the Patriot Pledge can fan the pledge at www.facebook.com/patriotpledge.
PatriotPledge.org is a non-partisan, grassroots coalition of voters seeking to improve the quality of our representation in Washington. To learn more visit www.patriotpledge.org. PatriotPledge.org intends to count each and every supporter by Congressional district and to provide the number of votes at stake to each candidate. The organization also intends to let all supporters know which candidates have signed the Patriot Pledge.
*QualVu (www.QualVu.com) survey of 644 Americans 18 years and older.