HARRISBURG, Pa., Aug. 30 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Pennsylvania State Police placed 198 trucks out of service during a one-day enforcement effort that focused on commercial vehicles traveling on rural roads and non-interstate highways, Commissioner Frank E. Pawlowski announced today.
The Commonwealth Rural Roads and State Highways detail, or C.R.A.S.H., was conducted Wednesday, Aug. 25, by state police motor carrier enforcement teams across the state.
"When looking for commercial vehicle violations, monitoring only the interstate highways is not enough," Pawlowski said. "We are active on rural roads across the state to ensure that commercial vehicles are operated safely."
The enforcement teams inspected 1,263 commercial vehicles during the detail. In addition to placing vehicles out of service, troopers placed 34 drivers out of service and issued 643 traffic citations and 1,502 written warnings.
Pawlowski said the most common violations were brakes out of adjustment and inoperative exterior lights.
For more information, visit www.psp.state.pa.us or call 717-783-5556.
Media contacts: Lt. Myra A. Taylor or Jack J. Lewis, 717-783-5556
Editor's Note: The following is a breakdown, by state police troop area, of the number of inspections conducted; number of vehicles placed out of service; and citations issued by state police during the one-day program:
- Troop A (Cambria, Indiana, Somerset and Westmoreland counties), 96 inspections; 34 vehicles placed out of service; 64 citations;
- Troop B (Allegheny, Fayette, Greene and Washington counties), 86 inspections; five vehicles placed out of service; 39 citations;
- Troop C (Clarion, Clearfield, Forest, Elk, Jefferson and McKean counties), 130 inspections; 36 vehicles placed out of service; 67 citations;
- Troop D (Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Lawrence and Mercer counties), 127 inspections; 21 vehicles placed out of service; 77 citations;
- Troop E (Crawford, Erie, Venango and Warren counties), 72 inspections; 17 vehicles placed out of service; 51 citations;
- Troop F (Cameron, Clinton, Lycoming, Montour, Northumberland, Potter, Snyder, Union and Tioga counties), 111 vehicles inspected; 15 vehicles placed out of service; 104 citations;
- Troop G (Bedford, Blair, Centre, Fulton, Huntingdon, Juniata and Mifflin counties), 97 inspections; six vehicles placed out of service; 21 citations;
- Troop H (Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Perry and York counties), 114 inspections; 15 vehicles placed out of service; 43 citations;
- Troop J (Chester and Lancaster counties), 68 inspections; 15 vehicles placed out of service; 34 citations;
- Troop K (Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties), 61 inspections; four vehicles placed out of service; 24 citations;
- Troop L (Berks, Lebanon and Schuylkill counties), 104 inspections; five vehicles placed out of service; 24 citations;
- Troop M (Bucks, Lehigh and Northampton counties), 44 inspections; five vehicles placed out of service; 21 citations;
- Troop N (Carbon, Columbia, Monroe and part of Luzerne counties), 37 inspections; seven vehicles placed out of service; 27 citations;
- Troop P (Bradford, Sullivan, Wyoming and part of Luzerne counties), 21 inspections; two vehicles placed out of service; 14 citations;
- Troop R (Lackawanna, Pike, Susquehanna and Wayne counties), 95 inspections; 11 vehicles placed out of service; 33 citations issued.
SOURCE Pennsylvania State Police Department