TULSA, Okla., Sept. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Strategies in Biophotonics Conference & Expo, a newly developed PennWell event scheduled for September 9-11, 2014, in Boston, MA at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel, has added to its advisory board Dr. Juergen Popp and Dale Wahlstrom.
Dr. Popp, Strategies in Biophotonics Conference & Expo's first international representative, is chair for Physical Chemistry at the Friedrich-Schiller University Jena (Germany) and Scientific Director of the Institute of Photonic Technology, Jena. A theme in Dr. Popp's work is bringing together scientists, commercial system developers, and clinicians to help ensure that biophotonics technology is addressing real needs and can be fully realized as tools for clinicians and researchers.
Dale Wahlstrom is the president and CEO of LifeScience Alley (LSA) and the BioBusiness Alliance of Minnesota (BBAM). He also is a member of the board of directors of the Medical Device Innovation Consortium, a public-private partnership between the FDA and the medical device industry.
Strategies in Biophotonics Conference & Expo will address critical but often-overlooked issues that technology innovators must address in order to succeed in efforts to commercialize biophotonics-based systems. The program will include key examples to highlight clinical and scientific needs, demonstrate how biomedical optics and photonics can address them, and discuss requirements for the technologies to reach that goal.
As conference co-chairs, Barbara Goode, Editor-in-Chief of BioOptics World, and Conard Holton, Editor-in-Chief of Laser Focus World, are assembling an industry-leading advisory board to develop conference content. So far the board includes:
- Robert R. Alfano, PhD, Distinguished Professor of Science and Engineering and Director of Institute for Ultrafast Spectroscopy and Lasers, City College of the City University of New York
- Thomas M. Baer, PhD, Executive Director, Stanford Photonics Research Center; Co-Founder, Arcturus Bioscience, Inc.
- Robert Chimenti, Sr. Strategic Applications Engineer, Innovative Photonic Solutions
- John Dexheimer, President, LightWave Advisors, Inc.
- Thomas J. Dudley, Assistant Director, Photonics Center, Boston University
- Ken Kaufmann, PhD, VP of Marketing, Hamamatsu Corp.
- Robert J. Nordstrom, PhD, Program Director, Cancer Imaging Program, National Institutes of Health National Cancer Initiative
- Aydogan Ozcan, PhD, Associate Professor, head of Bio- and Nano-Photonics Laboratory, UCLA; Founder, Holomic LLC
- Rick Plympton, CEO, Optimax Systems Inc.
- Juergen Popp, PhD, Scientific Director of the Institute of Photonic Technology and chair for Physical Chemistry at the Friedrich-Schiller University Jena
- Dale Wahlstrom, president and CEO of LifeScience Alley (LSA) and BioBusiness Alliance of Minnesota
Among the roughly 40 exhibitors expected are: Applied Image Inc, B&W Tek, Laser Components, OFS Optics and Princeton Instruments.
For more information and to register for Strategies in Biophotonics Conference & Expo, visit http://www.strategiesinbiophotonics.com.
PennWell Corp. is a diversified business-to-business media and information company that provides quality content and integrated marketing solutions for the following industries: electric power, water and wastewater, oil and gas, renewable energy, electronics, semiconductor, contamination control, photonics, fiberoptics, enterprise storage, nanotechnology, fire, emergency services and dental. Founded in 1910, PennWell publishes over 100 print and online magazines and newsletters, conducts 60 conferences and exhibitions on six continents, and has an extensive offering of books, maps, web sites, research and database services. In addition to PennWell's headquarters in Tulsa, Oklahoma the Company has major offices in Nashua, New Hampshire; Houston, Texas; London, England; Mountain View, California; Fairlawn, New Jersey; Moscow, Russia; and Hong Kong, China. In 2010, PennWell celebrated 100 years in business.
Contact: Danette Ward
Sr. Marketing Manager, PennWell
SOURCE PennWell Corp.