DUBLIN, Feb. 18, 2016 /PRNewswire/ --
Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/672p6g/peptide) has announced the addition of the "Peptide Therapeutics in Metabolic Disorders, 2016 - 2025" report to their offering.
the peptide therapeutics market for metabolic disorders to witness a steady growth rate over the coming decade and be worth over USD 10 billion by 2025. As expected, diabetes will account for a majority share. Ongoing technological developments and research in other metabolic disorders will fuel growth in the long term.
Peptide therapeutics, due to their numerous advantages such as high selectivity, stability, efficacy, safety, bioavailability and tolerability offer a number of benefits over other therapeutic classes. In addition, peptides (when compared to proteins) are much smaller in size and can be easily synthesized, optimized and evaluated as viable therapeutic solutions for a number of diseases.
These highly favourable and intrinsic characteristics of peptides have caused an evident shift in the interest of pharmaceutical / life science companies towards developing peptide based drugs during the last decade. The number of marketing approvals granted to such molecules has increased recently. Researchers have continued to develop novel strategies to synthesize customized peptides to elicit desired biological responses.
Metabolic disorders have gained significant attention for the development of peptide based therapies.Some of the marketed drugs in this space, including BYETTA® / BYDUREON® and Victoza®, have already emerged as blockbusters with over USD 1 billion annual sales. It is worth highlighting that the evolution of peptides into potent therapeutic solutions has been facilitated by a variety of novel technologies that have been developed by drug / technology developers.
Technologies designed to enhance the stability, increase the bioavailability and facilitate the effective delivery of peptides have acted as key enablers to the market's growth. Specifically, technologies that offer alternative routes of administration (oral / intranasal / transdermal) and sustained drug delivery over a longer time duration are expected to significantly improve patient compliance. In fact, companies have actively entered into collaboration with other stakeholders to either acquire or develop peptide therapies. There have also been a growing number of partnerships related to technology licensing.
The Peptide Therapeutics in Metabolic Disorders, 2016-2025 report provides a comprehensive analysis of the current market landscape and future outlook of peptide therapeutics targeting metabolic disorders. Novartis' Miacalcin, a calcitonin analogue, was the first peptide therapeutic approved for the treatment of post-menopausal osteoporosis in 1986. Following Miacalcin, several more peptide based therapies targeting various metabolic diseases have been approved so far. The overall pipeline is rich and continues to grow at a healthy pace. These therapies hold the potential to capture a significant share of the pharmaceutical market in the foreseen future.
A majority of peptide therapeutics that we identified during our research are being developed for the treatment of diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis and acromegaly. In addition, there are several peptide therapeutics targeting other metabolic disorders such as Cushing's disease, hypoglycemia, cystic fibrosis and achondroplasia.
One of the key objectives of the study is to review and quantify the opportunities laid by the development programs of both small and big pharma firms.
Amongst other elements, the report elaborates on the following key areas:
- The current state of the market with respect to key players, developmental stage of pipeline products (both clinical / pre-clinical), route of administration and metabolic indications being targeted. - The innovative technology platforms and delivery systems being offered to eliminate the challenges associated with the administration of peptide therapeutics. - Partnerships that have taken place in the recent past covering research and development collaborations, manufacturing agreements, license agreements specific to technology platforms or product, co-development and co-commercialization of promising candidates. - Recently approved and mid / late stage peptide therapeutics in terms of their history of development, available formulations, associated patents, key clinical trials and results. - The epidemiology and patient population for each key metabolic indication.
Key Topics Covered:
2. Executive Summary
3. Introduction to Peptide Therapeutics
4. Introduction to Metabolic Disorders
5. Peptide Therapeutics in Metabolic Disorders: Current Market Landscape
6. Peptide Therapeutics in Diabetes
7. Peptide Therapeutics in Acromegaly
8. Peptide Therapeutics in Obesity
9. Peptide Therapeutics in Osteoporosis
10. Peptide Therapeutics in Other Metabolic Disorders
11. Key Technology Platforms
12. Interview Transcripts
14. Appendix 1: Tabulated Data
15. Appendix 2: List of Companies and Organizations
- 3M Drug Delivery Systems - 7 Med Health Ventures - Abingworth - Aileron Therapeutics - Albany Molecular Research - Alize Pharma - Alkermes - American Diabetes Association - Amunix - Amylin Pharmaceuticals - Andromeda Biotech - APEPTICO - Apitope - ARCH Venture Partners - ArisGen - Asahi Kasei Pharma - Aspireo Pharmaceuticals - AstraZeneca - AZAD Pharma - Biodel - Biogen Idec - Biolaxy - BioMarin Pharmaceutical - Biotech Lab Singapore - Bristol Myers Squibb - Bone Medical - Calista Therapeutics - Camurus Pharmaceuticals - Capstone Therapeutics - Capsugel - CEMA - Chiasma - Cilian - Clal Biotechnology Industries - Clinuvel pharmaceuticals - ConjuChem - Cortendo AB - CureDM - DeveloGen - Diabetology - Diartis Pharmaceuticals - Dong-A ST Co. - Elan Corporation - Elli Lilly and Company - EMD Serono - Emisphere Technologies - Enteris BioPharma - Erasmus Medical Center - European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) - Evotech - F2 Capital - F3 Ventures - Farallon Capital Management - Foresee Pharmaceuticals - Foresite Capital - Franklin Templeton - Fred Alger Management - Fredric Price - Friedrich Schiller University - Genentech - GlaxoSmithKline - Glide Technologies - Hadassah University Medical Center - Hanmi Pharmaceuticals - Hefei Tianhui Incubator of Technologies Co. - Horizon Pharma - Hovione - Hygea VCT - Hyperison Therapeutics - Impel NeuroPharma - Intarcia Therpeutics - International Diabetes Federation (IDF) - Invesco Perpetual - Ipsen - Italfarmaco - Janssen Pharmaceuticals - Jiangsu Hansoh Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd - KeyBioScience - Lanthio Pharma - LipimetiX Development - Longevity Biotech - Lonza Group - MedImmune - Merck - Merrion Pharmaceuticals - MidaSol Therapeutics - Midatech - Monosol Rx - MPM Capital - MVM Life Science Partners - Myrtle Potter & Company - Naia Pharmaceuticals - New Enterprise Associates - New Leaf Venture Partners - New Paradigm Therapeutics - NOD Pharmaceuticals - Nordic Bioscience - Novartis - Novo Nordisk - Numab - Nypro Healthcare - OCTALFA - OPKO Biologics - Oramed Pharmaceuticals - Oxford Capital Partners - Oxford Finance LLC - Oxford Technology Venture Capital Trusts - Palatin Technologies Inc. - Peptor - Peptron - Pfenex - Pfizer - PhaseBio Pharmaceuticals - Phoundry Pharmaceuticals - PolyPeptide Laboratories (PPL) - Proxima Concepts - QS Pharma - Quaker Partners - Quilvest - Quintiles - RA Capital - Radius Health - Rani Therapeutics - Rebel Pharmaceuticals - RedCell - Rhythm Pharmaceuticals - Roche - Rock Springs Capital - Sanofi - Servier - Sham - Shire - Sofinnova Ventures - SomPharmaceuticals - Square 1 Bank - Stealth BioTherapeutics - Strongbridge Biopharma - SurModics - Tarix Pharmaceuticals - Tarsa Therapeutics - Teijin Pharma - The Baupost Group - Theratechnologies - Thierry Abribat - Transition Therapeutics - TVM Capital - Unigene Laboratories - University of Alabama, Birmingham Research Foundation - University of Geneva - University of Nebraska-Lincoln - University of Turin - Uppsala University Hospital - Upsher Smith Laboratories - Vallaurix - Venrock - Versartis - Vetter Pharma Fertigung & Co - Weizmann Institute of Science - Yeda Research and Development Company - Ypsomed Group - Zealand Pharma - Zosano Pharma
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/672p6g/peptide
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call +1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call +1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
SOURCE Research and Markets