20 Mar, 2018, 08:00 ET
LIVONIA, Mich., March 20, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- National Puppy Day (March 23) is a reminder for pet owners everywhere of the love, joy, and even the responsibility they felt when their new best friend entered their world. Today, more than 60 percent of U.S. families own a pet, which equates to 84.6 million homes. To help these pet parents focus more on the rewards of owning a new pet, Pet Supplies Plus – the largest and most trusted pet retail franchise in the United States – has created a useful checklist to take the worry and guesswork out of planning their new pets' homecoming.
A new pet parent can easily forget a few things in all the excitement of bringing a new pet home. To help its neighbors prepare for their new family members, Pet Supplies Plus' pet guide offers recommendations on products such as food, comforting equipment, grooming and hygiene products, safety needs and supplies for providing the new pet with the appropriate level of physical activity. All recommended products are designed to maintain the pets' overall wellness and will differ based on breed.
The guide makes these helpful suggestions and more:
- Food: When purchasing food for a pet – no matter the type – it's important to do your research. Products have different price points, styles, flavors and health benefits. Pet Supplies Plus team members can help neighbors select a nutritious, beneficial food to keep their new pets happy and healthy.
- Comfort Equipment: Relocation can be stressful for newly adopted pets, so it's important for them to feel comfortable and protected. Providing a bed and toys is a great way to help them become acquainted with their new environment. Newborns, such as puppies or kittens, will need chews and toys to help them through their teething process. Pet Supplies Plus team members are able to recommend a durable toy that will keep them occupied and at ease.
- Safety Needs: When a new pet joins the family, a pet parent might want to do a little "pet-proofing" around the house. Owners of dogs or cats can purchase gates or locks to keep pets away from dangerous areas or products. And because the new four-legged family member won't always be inside the home, he will need a collar and identification tag. Microchipping services are offered at Pet Supplies Plus stores with VIP Petcare clinics on-site for $19. These safety measures increase the likelihood of an owner finding his or her pet in the event he is lost.
- Grooming & Hygiene Products: Every pet needs a bath now and then, but some even need a regularly scheduled blow out. Make sure to research your new pet's basic grooming requirements and strategize a game-plan. Many Pet Supplies Plus stores offer grooming conveniences for dogs to their neighbors in the form of self-service pet washing stations, nail clipping services and full-service grooming salons. Proper hygiene can also include flea and tick prevention, and team members can help determine the best method of protection for the new family member. For puppies, be prepared for house training with puppy pads and pet-safe cleaning products for those inevitable accidents.
- Physical Activity Supplies: Today one out of three dogs and cats is overweight. Pet owners everywhere need to understand the importance of giving their pets the exercise they need in order to maintain their physical and mental well-being. Owners of dogs and cat are encouraged to devote as much time as possible to exercising their pets as they would for themselves. Pet Supplies Plus carries a variety of leashes, toys and exercise equipment, so that pets can take part in physical activity with their owners.
"Our neighbors want their new pets to live a happy, healthy lifestyle, and that starts with identifying the right supplies and resources," said Chris Rowland, CEO of Pet Supplies Plus. "Our stores offer a large variety of products at a great value to ensure the pets' overall wellness. We've created this guide to help our neighbors identify the items they will need before they bring their new pet home."
An experienced and knowledgeable team is available at every Pet Supplies Plus location to help neighbors find everything they need. Team members – extensively trained in the areas of natural and holistic foods – are able to answer a broad range of questions about dogs, cats, birds, reptiles and fish. Shoppers can also take advantage of the free Preferred Pet Club, which offers members the benefit of regular coupons and monthly specials, resulting in big savings.
Pet Supplies Plus offers a wide array of natural pet foods, and a variety of Made in the USA pet consumables. These include wet and dry food, treats, rawhide and chews. Set in welcoming neighborhood environments, Pet Supplies Plus team members get to know their neighbors and pets by name at every store. Many locations also feature a full offering of grooming services tailored to meet every pet's needs, including washes, haircuts, body brushing, flea treatment and nail, skin, ear and oral care.
About Pet Supplies Plus
Pet Supplies Plus is focused on making it easier to get better products for your pet. With 425 locations in 33 states, the stores have a streamlined design making it easy to navigate a wide assortment of natural foods, hard goods and pet services. Headquartered in Livonia, MI, Pet Supplies Plus is ranked in Entrepreneur magazine's Annual Franchise 500® list as the Top Full-Service Pet Supplies Franchise for its exceptional performance in areas including financial strength, growth rate and system size. For more information visit www.petsuppliesplus.com.
Media Contact: Ann Maher, Fishman Public Relations, 847-945-1300, [email protected]
SOURCE Pet Supplies Plus
Share this article