NEW YORK, May 27, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- PharmaPoint: Atrial Fibrillation - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2023
Atrial fibrillation (AF) is the most common cardiac arrhythmia and is a heart condition that causes an irregular and often abnormally fast heart rate. Various therapeutic options are available to treat patients with AF, and most patients will receive some form of antithrombotic therapy, a heart rate control agent, and potentially, an antiarrhythmic drug for rhythm control.
All sectors of the AF market have historically been saturated with generics, with the vitamin K antagonists such as warfarin playing an important role in stroke prevention in AF. However, since 2010, and the launch of the first of the new oral anticoagulants (NOACs), a shift in the treatment of patients with AF has occurred. The NOACs offer a significant advancement in anticoagulation and their continued uptake will be the main driver of growth in the AF market over the next 10 years.
In contrast, despite a great unmet need for safer antiarrhythmic drugs, developments in this field are expected to be much slower. Two potential antiarrhythmic drugs are in late-stage development and are forecast to enter the market within the next decade: Gilead's ranolazine/dronedarone and ChanRx's vanoxerine.
Key Questions Answered
- The anticoagulant market for stroke prevention in AF has become increasingly crowded. How will the drug treatment landscape for AF change? Which of the NOACs will become the market leader over the next ten years? What are the key drivers and barriers to this change?
- The AF market is marked by the presence of a number of unmet needs. What are the main unmet needs in the treatment of AF? Will the drugs under development fulfil the unmet needs of the AF market?
- Will any of the late-stage antiarrhythmic drugs make a significant impact on the AF market? Which of these drugs will have the highest peak sales at the end of the forecast period, and why?
- The major driver for the growth of the AF market will be the continued uptake of the NOACs for the prevention of stroke in patients with AF. Due to the advances that the NOACs provide in terms of improved safety and the lack of a need for routine monitoring, NOAC uptake will continue to increase, taking market share away from vitamin K antagonists, such as warfarin.
- The second major driver will be the approval and launch of the first antidotes for the NOACs, which will alleviate physician and patient concerns regarding a lack of a reversal agent in the event of uncontrolled bleeding, and will increase overall uptake.
- Despite a great unmet need for safer antiarrhythmic drugs, developments in this field are expected to be much slower due to the high risk involved in developing these drugs. Barriers to growth include the requirement for large, costly, and comprehensive clinical trials to support regulatory approval of cardiovascular drugs, which will deter drug developers wanting to enter the AF market. Widely available generic antiarrhythmic drugs will also make it difficult for any novel rhythm control agents to gain reimbursement and wider uptake.
- Overview of AF, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Annualized AF therapeutics market revenue, annual cost of therapy, and treatment usage pattern data from 2013, forecast for ten years to 2023.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping, and implications for the AF therapeutics market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global AF therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints, and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Additionally a list of acquisition targets included in the pipeline product company list.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global AF therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global AF therapeutics market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global AF therapeutics market from 2013-2023.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
Read the full report: http://www.reportlinker.com/p02913199-summary/view-report.html
ReportLinker is an award-winning market research solution that finds, filters and organizes the latest industry data so you get all the market research you need - instantly, in one place.
Contact Clare: firstname.lastname@example.org
Intl: +1 339-368-6001