NEW YORK, May 27, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- PharmaPoint: Insomnia - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2023
Insomnia is the most common sleep disorder and is believed to affect approximately 35% of the global population. The condition can be defined as patient-reported difficultly with sleep initiation or sleep maintenance which can include frequent awakenings, difficulty returning to sleep after awakenings, or awakening too early with inability to return to sleep. Cases of insomnia can be classified on the basis of etiology into primary and secondary (or comorbid) subtypes. The insomnia market is widely genericized creating a competitive environment for new products. As such, the treatment algorithm centers on the generically available nonbenzodiazepines and low-dose sedating antidepressants, despite the launch of numerous novel agents. The value of the insomnia market is set to further decline following the loss of exclusivity for Sunovion/Dainippon Sumitomo's Lunesta, the top selling insomnia drug, in April 2014. However, GlobalData expects the launch of two pipeline products from a novel class of drugs to provide growth in the insomnia market as they may address some of the unmet need.
Key Questions Answered
- The insomnia market is dominated by the generic nonbenzodiazepines and low-does sedating antidepressants. Novel products have not had a significant impact on this market as they lack notable clinical advantages over the current first-line drugs. What are the unmet needs in light of this? Will there be opportunities in this market for drug developers throughout the forecast period?
- The current late stage insomnia pipeline is sparse with only one drug having advanced to Phase III. However, GlobalData believes two orexin receptor antagonists will enter the market during the forecast period. What impact will these drugs have on the market? How will they affect the treatment algorithm for insomnia? Will these drugs fulfil any of the unmet needs for insomnia?
- Population aging is occurring in almost all countries worldwide, particularly in the 7MM. This is expected to have a significant impact on the prevalence of insomnia. How will epidemiological changes impact the growth of the future insomnia market?
- The main driver of growth in the insomnia market will be the introduction of the orexin receptor antagonists over the forecast period. The launch of this novel drug class may address some of the unmet need in the insomnia market due to the safety profile of these drugs and the availability of long-term clinical trial data.
- The generic erosion of Lunesta within the insomnia market will lead to a decline in market size prior to the entry of pipeline products. The availability of generic eszopiclone could greatly affect the treatment algorithm and will put downward pricing pressure on the controlled-release zolpidem generics.
- The biggest barrier for growth in the insomnia market will be fierce competition from generic products. The commercial advantages to prescribing generic drugs will make it difficult for novel products to gain traction.
- Considerable opportunity remains for products that meet the unmet needs in the insomnia market. Drugs with improved safety, which is sustained over the long-term, would hold a competitive advantage. Similarly, drugs that improve sleep quality would be viewed favorably by physicians.
- Overview of insomnia, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Annualized insomnia market revenue, annual cost of therapy and treatment usage pattern data from 2013 and forecast for ten years to 2023.
- Key topics covered include market characterization, unmet needs, R&D and clinical trials assessment, late stage clinical trial analysis and implications for the insomnia therapeutics market.
- Pipeline analysis: focus on the three late-stage pipeline insomnia drugs discussing emerging trends as well as overview of earlier phase drugs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global insomnia therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Additionally a list of acquisition targets included in the pipeline product company list.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global insomnia therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global insomnia therapeutics market in future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global insomnia therapeutics market from 2013-2023.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
Read the full report: http://www.reportlinker.com/p02913191-summary/view-report.html
ReportLinker is an award-winning market research solution that finds, filters and organizes the latest industry data so you get all the market research you need - instantly, in one place.
Contact Clare: email@example.com
Intl: +1 339-368-6001