Platform9 Launches the Industry's Only SaaS Managed Bare Metal Orchestration Platform
Platform9's Managed Bare Metal provides a SaaS management plane and bare metal controller that remotely manages and automates the lifecycle of bare metal to flexibly deploy any workload anywhere at a moment's notice: Kubernetes, databases, HPC, virtual machines
New offering powers ITOps, DevOps, and SRE teams with highest application performance, effortless scaling, accelerated private cloud deployment, and complete control over edge deployments
16 Dec, 2020, 09:00 ET
MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Dec. 16, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Platform9, the first company to provide open-source SaaS managed solutions for private and edge clouds, today unveiled the industry's only cloud ready, fully managed bare metal solution: Platform9 Managed Bare Metal. Now, IT teams can transform their installed physical servers into bare metal clouds, leveraging the API-driven automation and simplicity of Platform9's SaaS managed experience and bare metal controller.
Top capabilities of the new product provide cloud agility to bare metal infrastructure and include:
- Enabling high application performance: The solution allows applications to run at full performance without contention combined with the operational simplicity of a public cloud. IT Teams can now easily deploy and manage performance sensitive workloads, including Big Data, Analytics, and Databases.
- Building private clouds with little effort and high flexibility: SaaS Managed bare metal enables operations teams to build and manage private clouds with a single click, leveraging bare metal orchestration integrated seamlessly with Platform9 Managed Kubernetes and OpenStack solutions. This allows IT to quickly adopt the bare metal environment to changing dev/test or business needs, from hypervisor to container cluster to database server and any future role.
- Running both Kubernetes and Edge on bare metal: Organizations globally are trying to leverage Kubernetes on physical servers. With Managed Bare Metal, organizations running Kubernetes can now orchestrate their physical servers with zero effort. This provides the full power of API driven orchestrations for bare metal infrastructure for any application, datacenter or edge.
"Historically, bare metal limitations have stymied cloud deployments," said Madhura Maskasky, Platform9 co-founder and VP of Product. "Examples of inefficiencies include entire hypervisors consumed by single applications that demand 100% CPU/RAM, leaving the hypervisor as an impediment to performance as no viable physical server orchestration option exists. This results in hypervisors' licenses being wasted and physical servers sitting idly waiting for the perfectly sized workload."
With Platform9 Managed Bare Metal, IT teams can now efficiently build out private and edge clouds, allowing quick deployment of bare metal clouds, virtualization stacks, and containers with Kubernetes in multiple use cases including:
- On premises bare metal cloud: The solution supports the rapid build out of high performance on-premise bare metal clouds and automated deployment of performance-sensitive workloads directly on physical servers, such as databases, big data, analytics, and AI/ML.
"We have been working with Platform9 throughout 2020 to transform our private cloud and our next step is bare metal. As we move to support containerized and virtualized applications, we need to be able to instantly move physical nodes between our OpenStack and Kubernetes Environments. Platform9's Managed Bare Metal will enable us to do precisely this," said Joseph Fisher, IT Manager - Technical Operations at Cloudera.
- 5G Telco Edge: Fully automated deployment of vRAN or packet core software at tens of thousands of cell tower/remote telco edge locations, using Platform9's Managed Bare Metal capability combined with virtualization and/or Kubernetes offerings. Provisioning and managing bare metal servers distributed to such edge locations is a significant part of enabling these technologies. Eliminating the need to manually manage these edge servers drastically reduces the effort in distributing these technologies across geographical boundaries.
- Retail Edge: Bare metal can fully automate remote deployment of thousands of retail stores end to end use using remote bare metal orchestration capability combined with Platform9's virtualization and/or Kubernetes offerings.
Platform9's Maskasky continued, "Our latest product release addresses a long standing problem faced by IT, DevOps, and SRE teams -- how to best realize the potential of their bare metal server deployments and face the challenges of new edge deployments across numerous industries. For example, one of the largest coffee chains in the world is leveraging our bare metal management capability to provide 'zero touch' automation and updates for their full hardware and software stacks in thousands of coffee stores around the country. This allows them to centrally and remotely deploy and manage a variety of virtual and container applications and associated servers within their stores."
Platform9 Managed Bare Metal is available now. It can both be purchased as a standalone solution or as fully-integrated with Platform9 Managed Openstack (PMO) and Platform9 Managed Kubernetes (PMK).
Platform9 Bare Metal Blog
Platform9 Bare Metal Product Page
Platform9 Bare Metal Documentation
Platform9 is the leading Managed Kubernetes provider for private and edge clouds. With a mission to enable freedom in cloud computing, the company delivers cloud-native technologies with SaaS simplicity that are easy to operate and scale, while supporting broad cloud capabilities that run on any infrastructure. The company's SaaS management model has been proven to eliminate management complexity and costs through automated cluster upgrades, security patches, and fully-managed monitoring and troubleshooting across multiple points of presence, edge sites, and data centers with guaranteed SLAs. Headquartered in Mountain View, CA, Platform9 clients include enterprises such as Kingfisher Retail, Redfin, Cloudera, Yext, and Juniper Networks. For additional information please visit Platform9.com, refer to the Platform9 blog and download the recent Forrester Wave™: MultiCloud Container Development Platforms, Q3 2020 Report. Follow Platform9 on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook.
Media and Analyst Contact
SOURCE Platform9 Systems, Inc.
Share this article