BASKING RIDGE, N.J., June 16 /PRNewswire/ -- This is the time of year when children trade their pencils and books for beach balls and camping tents, and in recognition of Wireless Safety Week (June 14 – 18), Verizon Wireless offers customers the following tips and apps to help them stay safe, connected and in the know while having fun in the sun this summer:
Know Before You Go
- Stay ahead of storms while on the road with WeatherBug, available for $2.99 per month in the Verizon Wireless Media Store. WeatherBug retrieves storm alerts and a detailed forecast to help your trip start off on the right foot.
- For long car rides, be sure to purchase a car charger and headset and practice safe and responsible driving.
- Changing the device settings on your wireless devices, including adjusting screen brightness and using stand-by mode more often, can extend your phone's battery life, increasing time between charges and saving energy.
Keeping It Cool
- Wireless devices and heat do not mix well. Never leave a wireless device in the glove compartment of a car and when at the beach, make sure to keep it under the umbrella away from the sun's damaging rays.
- For you, Safe Sun UV Monitor/Timer, available for $1.99 in the Palm App Catalog, uses geo-location to retrieve the UV Index wherever you are to let you know how much time in the sun is safe. You can even set an alarm to notify you when it's time to seek shade.
Understanding Your Device
- Learn how to text message. Use text messaging as a safety tool when severe weathers strikes and communication networks may be challenged. To reach multiple parties quickly use Text Easy, available in Android Market™. You can easily select contacts to inform them of delays while you wait out traffic or rough weather.
- Make sure to understand all of the safety features your wireless device offers, including GPS for finding location, cameras for video and picture messaging, and voice activation. These features can play an important role in personal safety.
Traveling By Sea or Road
- Excellent for the new sailor or the seasoned seaman alike, Boater's Checklist, available for $1.99 in Android Market, comes bundled with a list of useful boating safety reminders.
- Running on a midsummer night? Be sure to get Multi-Purpose Safety for $1 in Android Market. This simple tool offers different types of illumination, such as LED lights, so you can be safe when jogging, running, bicycling or riding at night.
Verizon Wireless offers a variety of devices to help you stay safe this summer, including DROID by Motorola, DROID Incredible by HTC, LG Ally™, Palm® Pre™ Plus and Palm Pixi™ Plus. These safety apps can be found in one of the following – the Media Center/Get It Now® on Verizon Wireless Simple Feature phones, Android Market on Android smartphones, or the Palm App Catalog on Palm smartphones.
For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable and largest wireless voice and 3G data network, serving nearly 93 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 81,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, Nasdaq: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
SOURCE Verizon Wireless