LONDON, Oct. 13, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Use this report to:
- Receive current global market analyses for thin-film printing equipments by equipment type, application, and region, with growth forecasts through 2020 for each market segment.
- Identify important technology and industry trends within each market segment.
- Learn about the organizations that are involved in the research and development of new processes, with a brief summary of their main activities.
- Identify the most important milestones in the development of thick film, thin films and printing processes.
- The global market for printing equipment for thin films was valued at $146.1 million in 2013 and $172.8 million in 2014. The total market is expected to increase from $237.8 million in 2015 to $973.7 million by 2020, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 32.6% from 2015 to 2020.
- Thin-film printing equipment for the optoelectronic sector represents the largest share of the market with an estimated 57.0% share of the total, and a market value of $135.5 million in 2015. This sector is expected to reach $570.3 million in 2020, a CAGR of 33.3% from 2015 to 2020.
- The global thin-film printing equipment market for electronics is expected to increase from $50.9 million in 2015 to $240.9 million in 2020, a CAGR of 36.5% from 2015 to 2020.
Introduction & Scope
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
BCC Research has followed the thick and thin film markets for the past 15 years, publishing various reports on materials, devices and technologies used to deposit these types of films. During this period, the market has expanded steadily and new opportunities have been created for these films. Although thick films have been traditionally fabricated mostly by screen printing and thin films by vacuum deposition methods, recently the distinction between the two types of films has blurred as various printing technologies have been introduced to manufacture thin films. Some of these technologies have been adapted from the paper
industry, some from the thick-film industry and others have been developed to satisfy the particular requirements of thin film fabrication. In this study, BCC Research provides a current and detailed assessment of the thin-film printing equipment (TFPE) market, including an objective analysis of industry and technological trends and prospects for future growth. In addition, a review of the most important advances in thin-film printing is offered, with a focus on those technologies that will contribute to market growth during the next five years.
Specifically, the major objectives of this study are to:
- Identify various printing equipment for thin films that are commercially available or under development, including a description of their types and operation principles.
- Highlight recent technological developments while outlining current technical issues.
- Review existing fields of application for thin films and TFPE and examine emerging applications.
- Estimate current global markets for TFPE by equipment type, application, and region, with growth forecasts through 2020 for each market segment.
- Identify important technology and industry trends within each market segment.
- Offer an updated review of current industry players, including manufacturers of thin-film printing equipment, thin-film printing materials, technology developers, and future market participants.
- Provide a description of the most relevant research and development activities.
- Determine trends in recently issued U.S. patents.
REASONS FOR DOING THIS STUDY
The global market for thin film technologies (including equipment, materials, and services) is currently valued at nearly $70 billion and continues to grow. During the past 30 years, on-going miniaturization in the semiconductor industry has had a tremendous impact also on other sectors; as a result, there is a continuous effort to create components and products that are smaller, thinner, lighter and, for certain
applications, flexible. The newest trend is the fabrication of wearable electronics, which include products such as entertainment devices, smart clothing, sensors and biosensors. To satisfy the requirements of this rapidly expanding and evolving industry, fabrication technologies are also changing. Traditionally, thin films have been deposited by a variety of physical or chemical subtractive methods, primarily based on vacuum
deposition, but, in recent years, there has been increasing interest in using additive methods based mostly on printing technologies. One of the advantages of additive methods is the capability of mass production at reduced manufacturing costs.
Additive methods currently represent a very small share of the thin film market (less than 1%), but their use is expected to grow at a very rapid rate in the near future compared to other thin-film technologies.
The increased market penetration of thin-film printing technologies can be attributed to different factors, including: rising demand for portable, wearable and flexible electronics; the need for low-cost deposition processes; advancements in printing technologies; and a growing availability of nanomaterials with improved properties at reduced unit prices. The principal objective of this report is to present a current assessment of the TFPE industry from both a technological and market point of view and to outline future trends and key developments. There is also a need to evaluate the current status and future trends of this market
from a global standpoint. As the use of TFPE expands and new fields of application emerge, information on suppliers and developers of thin-film printing equipment and their regional distribution becomes more valuable. An equally important reason for undertaking this report is to provide technical insights into the manufacturing of printing equipment for thin films by: l Providing a review of the various types of printing equipment.
- Identifying current technical trends.
- Providing an overview of the main global research and development (R&D) activities related to thin-film printing equipment, resulting in the issuance of patents.
- Illustrating the latest technological developments.
This information can assist companies in identifying opportunities for process and productivity improvements and new product development, resulting in a positive impact on future market growth.
This study will be of primary interest to all organizations that:
- Manufacture, sell and distribute equipment for producing thin films.
- Fabricate thin-film devices or coated products.
- Offer coating services to the thin-film industry.
- Manufacture or distribute thin-film printing materials.
- Provide technical and/or marketing services for the thin-film industry.
- Are planning to enter the thin-film industry as a supplier, manufacturer or end user.
Overall, this report applies to industry segments such as electronics, opto-electronics, mechanical/chemical, energy, optical coatings, life sciences and the general coating sector. The report is mainly directed toward executives, directors, operations managers, sales and marketing managers, and strategic planners working within the above industries. Universities and research facilities may also find this report to be a good source of technical information regarding thin-film technology, materials and applications, which can be used as a baseline for new or expanded R&D activities. Librarians of technical information and research centers can also use this report to provide critical data to product managers, market analysts, researchers and other professionals needing detailed and updated insights into the thin-film industry.
SCOPE OF REPORT
This report provides an updated review of thin-film technologies, including subtractive and additive methods, and identifies current and emerging applications for these technologies. BCC Research delineates the current market status for thin-film printing equipment, defines trends and presents growth forecasts for the next five years. The TFPE market is analyzed based on the following segments: equipment type, application and region. In addition, technological issues, including key events and the latest process developments, are also discussed. More specifically, the market analysis conducted by BCC Research for this report is
divided into five sections. In the first section, an introduction to the topic and a historical review of thin-film technology are provided, including an outline of recent events. In this section, current
and emerging applications for thin-film processes are also identified and described. The second section provides a technological review of emerging printing technologies for the deposition of thin films, with a description of the types of equipment used and an outline of common applications. This section concludes with an analysis of the most important technological developments since 2014, including examples of significant patents recently issued or applied for, as well as highlighting the most active research organizations operating in this field.
The third section entails a global market analysis of thin-film printing equipment. Global revenues (sales data in millions of dollars) are presented for each segment (equipment type, application and region) with actual data for the years 2013 and 2014, and estimated revenues for 2015. The analysis of current TFPE revenues is followed by a detailed presentation of market growth trends based on industry growth, technological trends and regional trends. The third section concludes by providing projected revenues for thin-film printing equipment within each segment, together with forecast compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) for 2015 through 2020. In the fourth section of the study, which covers global industry structure, the report offers a list of the leading manufacturers of printing equipment for thin films, together with a description of their products. The analysis includes a description of the geographical distribution of these suppliers and an evaluation of other key industry players. Detailed company profiles of the top players are also provided. The fifth and final section includes an analysis of recently issued U.S. patents, with a summary of patents related to thin-film printing equipment, including design and engineering, modifications and optimization, and applications. Patent analysis is performed by region, country, assignee, patent category, application and equipment type.
Download the full report: https://www.reportbuyer.com/product/3323196/
Reportbuyer is a leading industry intelligence solution that provides all market research reports from top publishers