SAN JOSE, Calif., Sept. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Designers can better protect their IP using the DeepCover Secure Authenticator (DS28C22) from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM). The DS28C22 is a highly secure cryptographic solution for a host controller to authenticate peripherals or embedded designs, and it offers encrypted communication as an added benefit.
DeepCover embedded security solutions protect sensitive data with multiple layers of advanced physical security and provide highly secure storage of the authentication secret keys. Using the FIPS 180 based SHA-256 authentication algorithm, the DS28C22 combines crypto-strong, bidirectional, secure challenge-and-response authentication with small message encryption. Through bidirectional authentication, the host and the peripheral authenticate one another, protecting the IP in the peripheral from a non-authentic host trying to modify operation of the peripheral. The DS28C22 enables unprecedented security for many applications, including peripherals/disposables, sensors, network equipment, IP licensing, and industrial applications like programmable logic controllers (PLCs).
- Robust security protects IP from being compromised by counterfeiters or hackers: A bidirectional security model enables two-way authentication and encryption between a host system and slave-embedded DS28C22. Strong die-level protection securely stores the authentication key.
- Simple and total programmability: Includes 3K bits of user memory with four user-programmable modes of protection; SHA-256 option enables customers to securely control end-product features through data settings.
- Added security with factory preprogramming: Maxim's optional DS28C22 preprogramming service prevents supply chain vendors from compromising a solution; ensures no exposure of cryptographic keys.
- Fast and secure crypto processing: DS28C22 includes a dedicated hardware-accelerated engine for SHA computations.
- "We have 20 years of R&D experience thwarting invasive attacks," said Scott Jones, Executive Director at Maxim Integrated. "By using multiple layers of security and SHA-256, we give designers real peace of mind that their data is safe."
- "Device manufacturers must secure their equipment to allow access only to authorized users. Symmetric cryptography is now commonly used to ensure system security, but keeping that symmetric cryptographic key secure is the most critical component of the implementation," said Colin Barnden, Principal Analyst at Semicast Research.
Availability and Pricing
- Available in an 8-pin TDFN package.
- Specified over the -40°C to +85°C temperature range.
- Pricing starts at $0.90 (1000-up, FOB USA).
DeepCover is a registered trademark of Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.
About Maxim Integrated
At Maxim Integrated, our designs make the world more integrated. And with analog integration, the possibilities are endless. In Fiscal 2013, we reported revenues of $2.4 billion.
SOURCE Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.