SAN JOSE, Calif., Aug. 1, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Quantum Corp. (NYSE: QTM) today announced general availability of StorNext 6, a major new release of the company's award-winning StorNext® scale-out file system. It delivers a unique combination of new advanced data management features for on-premise, hybrid cloud and public cloud environments and industry-leading streaming performance. StorNext 6 is now shipping with the company's Xcellis® workflow storage solutions, enabling users to overcome the limitations of traditional NAS systems in keeping up with the demands of large, rapidly growing data-intensive workloads and driving business value from that data. This latest StorNext release provides more efficient and cost-effective ways to share and access files across geographically distributed teams, to manage and protect archived data, and to audit changes to data throughout its lifecycle.
Multi-Site File Replication and Sharing for Easier Collaboration
One of the key challenges in highly data-intensive environments such as genomics, academic research, video surveillance and government security is enabling dispersed teams to work together using a common data set for creative, analytical or other purposes. StorNext 6 addresses this challenge with two new features, FlexSync™ and FlexSpace™:
- FlexSync provides a fast, flexible and simple way to synchronize data between multiple StorNext-based systems in a highly manageable and automated fashion. It supports one-to-one, one-to-many and many-to-one file replication scenarios and can be configured to operate at almost any level: specific files, specific folders or entire file systems.
- FlexSpace allows multiple instances of StorNext ― and geographically distributed teams ― to share a single storage repository and easily access the same data set. To reduce costs, the shared repository avoids maintaining duplicate copies of data at each site while providing access to all users, in any location, at any time. FlexSpace supports both public and private cloud storage that uses the S3 protocol, including Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud as well as Quantum's Lattus® object storage and third-party object storage such as NetApp StorageGRID, IBM Cleversafe and Scality RING.
Enhanced StorNext-Client Functionality for Greater Agility
High-performance file storage users may have dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of clients accessing a system at any time, which can hinder workflows and create other inefficiencies. To address this problem, StorNext 6 includes a new quality of service (QoS) for optimizing performance across all client workstations, and on a machine-by-machine basis, to align with business priorities. Users can:
- Allocate more bandwidth to individual workstations for more demanding applications involving urgent projects.
- Set parameters so that less time-sensitive activities do not consume an unnecessary amount of bandwidth.
- Make adjustments quickly as priorities change.
StorNext 6 also enables client platforms to browse archive directories that contain offline files — which can number in the hundreds of thousands, or even millions ― without having to retrieve the entire directory. As a result, this feature significantly streamlines the archive retrieval process, enabling users to get the files they need more quickly.
File Copy Expiration for Increased ROI and File Auditing for Deeper Insights
As the foundation for a single, integrated solution that can span a single namespace across flash, spinning disk, object storage, tape and the cloud, StorNext has long reduced overall storage costs through tiering. StorNext 6 adds:
- A new copy expiration feature, enabling automated removal of file copies from more expensive storage tiers, thereby freeing up space and increasing the overall return on investment.
- The ability to track changes in files across the data lifecycle and report who changed a file, when the changes were made, what was changed and whether and to where a file was moved ― all of which provides administrators with greater file management granularity and insight into usage patterns and helps support compliance requirements.
StorNext 6 is now shipping with all newly purchased Xcellis appliances and is also available at no additional cost to current Xcellis users running StorNext 5 under existing support contracts.
Molly Presley, Vice President, Global Marketing, Quantum
"As we talk to customers, it's clear that traditional NAS and general-purpose, scale-out storage offerings often can't meet the performance and parallel workload demands resulting from the rapid growth of large unstructured data volumes. In contrast, our StorNext 6-based Xcellis workflow storage solutions provide an unparalleled combination of high performance and advanced data management that enables users in highly data-intensive environments to achieve their business and mission objectives more efficiently and cost-effectively."
- Learn more about StorNext 6: www.quantum.com/products/scale-out-storage/stornext-6/index.aspx
- Read about Xcellis scale-out storage: www.quantum.com/products/scale-out-storage/stornext-primary-storage/index.aspx
Quantum is a leading expert in scale-out tiered storage, archive and data protection. The company's StorNext platform powers modern high-performance workflows, enabling seamless, real-time collaboration and keeping content readily accessible for future use and re-monetization. More than 100,000 customers have trusted Quantum to address their most demanding content workflow needs, including large government agencies, broadcasters, research institutions and commercial enterprises. With Quantum, customers have the end-to-end storage platform they need to manage assets from ingest through finishing and into delivery and long-term preservation. See how at www.quantum.com/customerstories.
Quantum, the Quantum logo, FlexSpace, FlexSync, Lattus, StorNext and Xcellis are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Quantum Corporation and its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
"Safe Harbor" Statement: This press release contains "forward-looking" statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Quantum advises caution in reliance on forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements include, without limitation, the features, capabilities, performance, availability and benefits to customers from StorNext 6. All forward-looking statements are based on information available to Quantum on the date hereof. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause Quantum's actual results to differ materially from those implied by the forward-looking statement, including unexpected changes in the Company's business. More detailed information about these risk factors, and additional risk factors, are set forth in Quantum's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, those risks and uncertainties listed in the section entitled "Risk Factors," in Quantum's Quarterly Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 1, 2017, especially those risks listed in this section under the heading "Our results of operations depend on a limited number of products and on new product introductions, which may not be successful, in which case our business, financial condition and results of operations may be materially and adversely affected." Quantum expressly disclaims any obligation to update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by applicable law.
Public Relations Contact:
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/quantums-xcellis-scale-out-storage-appliances-now-shipping-with-new-stornext-6-advanced-data-management-features-300497073.html
SOURCE Quantum Corp.