SAN JOSE, Calif., Feb. 11, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Quantum Corp. (NYSE: QTM) today announced Radio Frequency Systems (RFS) is using Quantum DXi® deduplication with Veeam® availability solutions for dramatic data reduction results and greater availability in its virtual machine environment. The combined solution has significantly lowered backup application costs, achieved 90 percent data reduction and cut backup times in half. Quantum is a Premier Technology Alliance partner with Veeam, and the success RFS has experienced illustrates how the two companies collaborate to provide simplified virtual data backup solutions that deliver high performance and maximize production system availability while lowering the total cost of ownership (TCO).
[Suggested tweet: RFS combines Veeam and DXi for better VM data protection #virtualization #deduplication http://qntm.co/1Siabgt]
Cutting Backup Times and Reducing the Data Center Footprint RFS is a global wireless and broadcast infrastructure specialist with 1,800 employees working in seven factories and research and development centers in five countries, and it relies on a highly virtualized environment to cut hardware costs and energy use. The company's Hanover, Germany, facility backs up CIFS data and VMware storage, which is growing by 10 to 20 percent annually. Nearly 85 percent of its infrastructure is virtualized, with a goal of hitting 95 percent, making a reliable backup solution particularly vital. Looking to save time and reduce disk space used, the RFS Hanover IT team sought a new redundant backup and replication solution for its virtual environment. The team also wanted an inexpensive system incorporating the latest technologies that would be easy to manage.
A Potent Combination for Protecting VMs: Veeam and Quantum DXi RFS selected Veeam Backup & Replication™ software for its ESX operations, gaining convenience and reliability. This solution gave the Hanover facility fast and flexible recovery while bringing backup and replication together into a single system. It also offered recovery time and point objectives (RTPO™) of less than 15 minutes, meeting the stringent recovery requirements of tier-1 applications.
RFS chose a Quantum DXi4700 deduplication appliance for backup. The DXi4700 line of deduplication appliances — powered by StorNext 5, a streaming file system with policy-based tiering software — is designed to accelerate storage workflows for remote sites. RFS was impressed by Quantum's patented variable-length deduplication technology, which delivers 30:1 data deduplication rates. In addition, the DXi4700 can scale up to 137TB via capacity-on-demand to address RFS's future backup needs and is the only appliance offering a direct link to move older backups to tape.
- Falko Schmudlach, IT Infrastructure Administrator, RFS: "Since early 2015, when RFS first tied Veeam Backup & Replication with Quantum's tiered storage solution, the facility has cut backup application costs, reduced backup windows and improved utilization rates of production VMs. The combination has proven to be an easy and powerful way to protect our VMware vSphere environment."
- Doug Hazelman, Vice President, Product Strategy, Chief Evangelist, Veeam: "Organizations of all sizes face a variety of technical challenges that are forcing them to rethink how they approach storing and protecting their data. Veeam availability solutions, combined with Quantum storage, deliver a scalable solution to optimize efficiency of both data storage and Availability for the Always-On Enterprise™ — enabling customers to maximize business value by storing, sharing and preserving assets over their entire lifecycle."
- Robert Clark, Senior Vice President, Product Operations, Quantum: "Maximizing data availability for virtual environments while reducing the cost of protecting them is an ongoing demand for IT departments. By combining Quantum disk with Veeam's unique features, RFS has tapped a potent solution to the challenge of protecting VMs with growing data volumes while keeping the cost of ownership manageable."
- Read the complete RFS case study: www.quantum.com/customerstories/rfs/index.aspx
- For more information describing the Quantum-Veeam approach to protecting VMs: www.quantum.com/applications/veeam-dxi/index.aspx
About Quantum Quantum is a leading expert in scale-out storage, archive and data protection, providing solutions for capturing, sharing and preserving digital assets over the entire data lifecycle. From small businesses to major enterprises, more than 100,000 customers have trusted Quantum to address their most demanding data workflow challenges. With Quantum, customers can Be Certain™ they have the end-to-end storage foundation to maximize the value of their data by making it accessible whenever and wherever needed, retaining it indefinitely and reducing total cost and complexity. See how at www.quantum.com/customerstories.
Quantum, the Quantum logo, Be Certain, DXi and StorNext are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Quantum Corporation and its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
"Safe Harbor" Statement: This press release contains "forward-looking" statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Specifically, but without limitation, statements relating to 1) benefits and value to customers from using Quantum's products, appliances and solutions, including DXi and StorNext appliances and solutions and 2) customer demand for and Quantum's future revenue from such products, appliances and solutions, are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to Quantum on the date hereof. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause Quantum's actual results to differ materially from those implied by the forward-looking statements. More detailed information about these risk factors are set forth in Quantum's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, those risks and uncertainties listed in the section entitled "Risk Factors," in Quantum's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on February 5, 2016 and in Quantum's Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 12, 2015. Quantum expressly disclaims any obligation to update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by applicable law.
Public Relations Contact: Bob Wientzen Quantum Corp. +1 (720) 201-8125 firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE Quantum Corp.