BRUSSELS, March 11, 2019 /PRNewswire/ --
Euroclear reports results for the year ending 31 December 2018
Euroclear will hold a presentation for investors today, March 11, with a video streaming service available on www.euroclear.com
- Operating income increased 9%, compared to FY 2017, to EUR 1335 million
- Business Income rose 4% to EUR 1079 million as our open architecture model and strategic initiatives captured the benefit of positive market conditions
- Banking and Other Income increased by 39% to EUR 256 million, boosted by higher US interest rates
- Operating costs were broadly stable at EUR 814 million as continued investment in our customer proposition and regulatory-driven initiatives were offset by tight control of costs
- Net profit was up 36% to EUR 322 million
- EPS was up 21% to EUR 102.3 per share, compared to EUR 84.6 per share in 2017
- Board indicates an interim dividend of EUR 55 per share. Dividend expected to be paid in fourth quarter 2019 as a consequence of successful corporate reorganisation
Key Operating Metrics
- Record number of netted transactions settled in the Euroclear group equivalent to EUR 791 trillion by value, an increase of 8% compared to 2017, and approximately 10x Global GDP
- The average value of securities held on behalf of Euroclear clients continued to grow in 2018 to EUR 28.8 trillion compared to EUR 28.4 trillion in 2017
- Euroclear's Collateral Highway mobilised a yearly average of EUR 1.2 trillion, up 7%
- Number of fund orders routed by Euroclear increased 4% to 10.9 million in 2018
Remain focused on delivering our three strategic objectives to enhance our customer proposition: strengthening our network, growing our network and reshaping our network. Highlights from 2018:
- Launch of Single CSD access to the ECB's T2S platform, providing an efficient gateway to Eurozone liquidity for international investors
- Continuing to invest in core systems, enhance cyber resilience and meet the requirements of incoming regulations, including CSDR
- Client feedback on collateral management solutions remains positive and Euroclear was awarded top honours in the Global Custodian Tri-Party Securities Financing survey
- Strong pipeline of emerging markets who are attracted to become 'Euroclearable' to facilitate international investment
- Exploring new opportunities to provide data services that support clients in optimising collateral and liquidity
- Successfully completed the relocation of the ultimate holding company to Belgium, following almost unanimous approval from our shareholders. This guarantees that the Company's legal seat is located inside the European Union
- Shareholders also approved amendments to the articles of association, meaning the Company now has a single class of ordinary shares
- The Board recognises the need to provide a long-term liquidity solution available to all shareholders and is reviewing options to ensure this is completed in an orderly manner
Commenting on the results, Lieve Mostrey, Chief Executive Officer said: "Euroclear has had an excellent year, with key business metrics reaching record levels, demonstrating the attractiveness of our proposition and focused strategy. Looking forward, we will continue to invest in our customer offer and focus on delivering our strategic objectives for the benefit of all our stakeholders."
Note to editors
Euroclear group is the financial industry's trusted provider of post trade services. At the core, the group provides settlement, safe-keeping and servicing of domestic and cross-border securities for bonds, equities and derivatives to investment funds. Euroclear is a proven, resilient capital market infrastructure committed to delivering risk-mitigation, automation and efficiency at scale for its global client franchise.
The Euroclear group includes Euroclear Bank - which is rated AA+ by Fitch Ratings and AA by Standard & Poor's - as well as Euroclear Belgium, Euroclear Finland, Euroclear France, Euroclear Nederland, Euroclear Sweden and Euroclear UK & Ireland. The Euroclear group settled the equivalent of EUR 791 trillion in securities transactions in 2018, representing 230 million domestic and cross-border transactions and held an average of EUR 28.8 trillion in assets for clients.
For more information about Euroclear, please visit www.euroclear.com.