BEIJING, June 10, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Renren Inc. (NYSE: RENN) ("Renren" or the "Company"), a leading real-name social networking internet platform in China, announced that its Board of Directors (the "Board") has received a non-binding proposal letter, dated June 10, 2015, from Mr. Joseph Chen ("Mr. Chen"), Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of the Company, and Mr. James Jian Liu, a member of the Board and Chief Operating Officer of the Company, proposing a "going-private" transaction (the "Transaction") to acquire all of the outstanding ordinary shares of the Company not already owned by Mr. Chen or Mr. Liu for US$4.20 in cash per American depositary share ("ADS"), or US$1.40 per ordinary share, which represents approximately 22% above the average closing price of the Company's ADSs over the last 30 trading days up to and including June 9, 2015.
Mr. Chen and Mr. Liu currently beneficially own approximately 32% of ordinary shares of the Company, representing approximately 49% in the Company's shareholder voting power.
According to the proposal letter, Mr. Chen and Mr. Liu intend to fund the consideration payable in the Transaction with a combination of debt and equity capital, and rollover equity in the Company. A copy of the proposal letter is attached hereto as Annex A.
The Board intends to form a special committee consisting of independent directors to consider this proposal.
The Board cautions the Company's shareholders and others considering trading in its securities that the Board just received the non-binding proposal letter from Mr. Chen and Mr. Liu and no decisions have been made with respect to the Company's response to the Transaction. There can be no assurance that any definitive offer will be made, that any agreement will be executed or that this or any other transaction will be approved or consummated. The Company does not undertake any obligation to provide any updates with respect to this or any other transaction, except as required under applicable law.
About Renren Inc.
Renren Inc. (NYSE: RENN) operates a leading real name social networking internet platform in China. It enables users to connect and communicate with each other, share information and user generated content, play online games, and enjoy a wide range of other features and services. Renren's businesses primarily include the main social networking website renren.com and the game operating platform Renren Games. Renren.com had approximately 225 million activated users as of March 31, 2015. Renren's American depositary shares, each of which represents three Class A ordinary shares, trade on NYSE under the symbol "RENN".
Safe Harbor Statement
This announcement contains forward-looking statements. These statements are made under the "safe harbor" provisions of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. These forward-looking statements can be identified by terminology such as "will," "expects," "anticipates," "future," "intends," "plans," "believes," "estimates," "may," "intend," "confident," "is currently reviewing," "it is possible," "subject to" and similar statements. Renren may also make written or oral forward-looking statements in its reports filed or furnished with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, including Forms 20-F and 6-K, in its annual report to shareholders, in press releases and other written materials and in oral statements made by its officers, directors or employees to third parties. Statements that are not historical facts, including statements about Renren's beliefs and expectations, are forward-looking statements and are subject to change. Forward-looking statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. A number of important factors could cause actual results to differ materially from those contained, either expressly or impliedly, in any of the forward-looking statements in this press release. Potential risks and uncertainties are outlined in Renren's filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. All information provided in this press release is current as of the date of this press release, and Renren does not undertake any obligation to update any such information, except as required under applicable law.
For more information, please contact:
Investor Relations Department
Tel: +86 (10) 8448-1818 x1300
June 10, 2015
The Board of Directors
1/F, North Wing
18 Jiuxianqiao Middle Road
Chaoyang District, Beijing 100016
People's Republic of China
Mr. Joseph Chen ("Mr. Chen"), Chairman of the board of directors and Chief Executive Officer of Renren Inc. (the "Company), and Mr. James Jian Liu, a member of the board of directors and Chief Operating Officer of the Company ("Mr. Liu," together with Mr. Chen, the "Buyer Group"), are pleased to submit this preliminary non-binding proposal to acquire all outstanding ordinary shares (the "Shares") of the Company not owned by the Buyer Group in a going-private transaction (the "Acquisition"). Our proposed purchase price is US$4.20 per American Depositary share of the Company ("ADS", each representing three Shares) in cash. The Buyer Group currently beneficially owns approximately 32% of ordinary shares of the Company, representing approximately 49% of the Company's shareholder voting power.
We believe that our proposal price of US$4.20 per ADS provides an attractive opportunity to the Company's shareholders. This price represents a premium of approximately 22% above the average closing price of the Company's ADSs over the last 30 trading days.
The terms and conditions upon which we are prepared to pursue the Acquisition are set forth below. We are confident in our ability to consummate an Acquisition as outlined in this letter.
- Buyer. Members of the Buyer Group have entered into a consortium agreement, pursuant to which we have agreed to, amongst other things, cooperate in connection with implementing the Acquisition, and work with each other on an exclusive basis in pursuing the Acquisition. While the Buyer Group has not entered into any agreements with any other shareholders of the Company as of the date of this letter, additional members may be joined the Buyer Group as the deal progresses.
- Purchase Price. Our proposed consideration payable for the Shares acquired in the Acquisition is US$4.20 per ADS, or US$1.40 per Share, in cash.
- Financing. We intend to finance the Acquisition with a combination of debt and equity capital. Equity financing will be provided by the Buyer Group in the form of cash and rollover equity in the Company. Debt financing is expected to be provided by loans from third party financial institutions. We are confident that we can timely secure adequate financing to consummate the Acquisition.
- Due Diligence. Parties providing financing will require a timely opportunity to conduct customary due diligence on the Company. We would like to ask the board of directors of the Company to accommodate such due diligence request and approve the provision of confidential information relating to the Company and its business to possible sources of equity and debt financing subject to a customary form of confidentiality agreement.
- Definitive Agreements. We have engaged Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP as our U.S. legal counsel. We are prepared to negotiate and finalize definitive agreements (the "Definitive Agreements") expeditiously. This proposal is subject to execution of the Definitive Agreements. These documents will include provisions typical for transactions of this type.
- Confidentiality. The Buyer Group will, as required by law, promptly file a Schedule 13D to disclose this letter. We are sure you will agree with us that it is in all of our interests to ensure that our discussions relating to the Acquisition proceed in a confidential manner, unless otherwise required by law, until we have executed the Definitive Agreements or terminated our discussions.
- Process. We believe that the Acquisition will provide value to the Company's shareholders. We recognize of course that the Board will evaluate the proposed Acquisition independently before it can make its determination whether to endorse it. In considering the proposed Acquisition, you should be aware that we are interested only in acquiring the outstanding Shares that the Buyer Group does not already own, and that the Buyer Group does not intend to sell their stake in the Company to a third party.
- No Binding Commitment. This letter constitutes only a preliminary indication of our interest, and does not constitute any binding offer, agreement or commitment with respect to an Acquisition. Such a commitment will result only from the execution of Definitive Agreements, and then will be on the terms provided in such documentation.
* * * * *
In closing, each of us would like to express our commitment to working together to bring this Acquisition to a successful and timely conclusion. Should you have any questions regarding this proposal, please do not hesitate to contact any of us. We look forward to speaking with you.
/s/ Joseph Chen
/s/ James Jian Liu
SOURCE Renren Inc.