NEW YORK, April 28, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
Over the last 12 months, there have been encouraging developments in the osteoporosis pipeline, with new therapies either receiving regulatory approval or launching. Moreover, both in the clinical and preclinical pipeline, companies continue their quest to bring to market a new, safe, effective, and affordable anabolic drug to address unmet need in the osteoporosis market.
Features and benefits
* Understand key dynamics in the R&D pipeline for new osteoporosis therapies
* Benchmark novel and existing therapies using the target product profile identified by Datamonitor
* Support R&D decision making by evaluating osteoporosis clinical trial designs that have set a precedent, as well as analysis of discontinued projects
* Access Datamonitor's prediction of how the treatment landscape may change in the next 20 years
The osteoporosis pipeline remains well stocked, with several products continuing their clinical trials and no significant discontinuations. There most exciting novel candidates with new mechanisms of action continue to be the new antiresorptives cathepsin K inhibitors and the anti-sclerostin monoclonal antibodies anabolics.
The osteoporosis treatment paradigm has been largely static for the past 20 years, but this trend is likely to change as new drugs reach the market. It is probable that the fracture prevention strategy will evolve from just focusing on increasing bone mineral density to improving the bone quality and strength.
The major change in the treatment of osteoporosis will be the launch of new efficacious and safe anabolic treatments, allowing physicians to use these treatments earlier in the algorithm and in a wider category of patients. In particular companies are targeting the Wnt pathway, bone morphogenetic proteins, and insulin-like growth factor.
Your key questions answered
* What are the key trends in the osteoporosis pipeline?
* What is the clinical gold standard and how do new candidates have to compare to this to successfully penetrate the market?
* How will new osteoporosis treatments evolve in the next 20 years?
* What are the requirements of European and US regulatory bodies to ensure approval of a novel candidate?
Strategic scoping and focus
Datamonitor key findings
CLINICAL PIPELINE OVERVIEW
The osteoporosis pipeline remains robust
Companies are focusing on developing anabolics as competition in the antiresorptive market increases
Mechanism of action
Late-stage development compounds recently discontinued
TARGET PRODUCT PROFILE
Fosamax (alendronate; Merck & Co)
Target product profile versus current level of attainment
CLINICAL TRIAL DESIGN IN OSTEOPOROSIS
Two different animal species tests are required by both the FDA and EMA
Preclinical trial design should reflect the clinical indication
The FDA and EMA have different patient inclusion requirements for osteoporosis trials
Future developments in clinical trial design
Trial endpoints unlikely to change
INNOVATIVE EARLY-STAGE APPROACHES
New targets for osteoporosis treatments
Targets for antiresorptive treatment
Targets for anabolic treatment
THE FUTURE OF TREATMENT OF OSTEOPOROSIS
Screening and osteoporosis diagnosis
Increased use of FRAX will lead to more osteoporosis prevention
Change in treatment outcomes
Focusing on bone quality
New treatment strategies
Anabolic treatments are likely to be used earlier in the treatment algorithm
To order this report:
Email: [email protected]
Intl: +1 805-652-2626